Broadband synchronisation

pickle factory 19:32 13 Oct 05

Would anyone have any idea as to why I might get an intermittent problem where my modem drops sync and keeps connecting/disconnecting every 5-10 secs. The problem isn't there all the time, maybe 2-3 times per week. Reboot sometimes seems to fix, but sometimes not. I have just had another bout of bing bonging as it drops in and out. I already have Windows firewall disabled but when I looked at the advanced tab in firewall it had my modem ticked as having firewall enabled. I have unticked that and it may be coincidence, but it's OK again at the moment. I'm running XP Pro SP2 with a PCI Conexant modem. PC has been great since I built it last Xmas, issue has arisen in last month or so. any ideas gratefully accepted.
Thanks.

Jackcoms 20:12 13 Oct 05

Faulty microfilters?

pickle factory 20:14 13 Oct 05

I might have a spare I could move around one at a time and monitor. I'll give it a try, but I won't know for maybe a week or 2 if it works.
Cheers

Gongoozler 20:39 13 Oct 05

Another possibility is moisture in the BT junction box. This can be very intermittent in it's effect.

pickle factory 20:42 13 Oct 05

Do you mean their box in the road or the box where it enters my house? It has been lashing rain yesterday and this morning where I live.

PC Bilbo 22:47 13 Oct 05

Copper access (BT lines can suffer from moisture in the connections (bit like humans and joints).If after trying different filters and it still misbehaves even in the dry, get BT to do a line check as the symptons also suggest a problem with out of bandwidth noise on your line.

Stuartli 23:42 13 Oct 05

You could also try dialling 17070 and checking the Quiet Line service (Number 2).

If you are ex-directory, you will have to precede the number with 1470.

pickle factory 09:44 14 Oct 05

All sounds good to me. Plenty to go at there for a while. I'll resolve for now and repost when I have a result to all of the above.
Thanks folks.

pickle factory 20:24 16 May 06

Long long time ago, but thought a re-post might help someone else.
Finally traced the problem after extremely time consuming trials. Tried swapping filters throughout the house in a structured, one at a time way. OK for days, sometimes weeks, then the dreaded 'Bing'. Went through all the suggestions above until finally ripped the junction box to bits where line enters my house and found dodgy connection with big bugger of a spider happily living on it. Spider re-housed in garden, comnnection fixed, box sealed with silicon sealant. Problem solved.

Stuartli 20:56 16 May 06

Glad it's sorted, but I hope BT doesn't find out that you have "ripped the junction box to bits where line enters my house"...:-)

BT is responsible for looking after and maintaining the line right up to the Master Socket (which it also owns!)

pickle factory 22:01 16 May 06

What they don't know won't hurt 'em. I'll charge them rent for the spider if they want to get funny

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…