Broadband speeds

Yimbo 17:07 09 Jul 09

I've noticed very considerable slow down of my internet speeds - about 1 minute to access a web page - - BBCiplayer, You Tube etc - about 15 - 30 minutes before a program or clip will play. I did a Broadband speed test and got 0.12Mbps downloead and 0.35Mbps upload. My Broadband supplier tells me I should be getting "up to 8Mbps", with no problems at his end. He also did a test and came up with similarly dismal speeds.
Any suggestions as to what might be slowing things so badly? It all worked fine till about a fornight ago!

rawprawn 17:16 09 Jul 09

Problem at your local exchange? your ISP should be able to find out why your speed is so dismal

Technotiger 17:29 09 Jul 09

Have you tried re-setting your modem? Disconnect it from the mains, wait ten seconds, then re-connect it.

howard64 17:43 09 Jul 09

this could be a faulty microfilter. Change it for another one. If this does no good could you at least temporarily plug your pc into the master socket? If you have a modern 2 piece master socket you need to remove the bottom section to disconnect all your extensions etc. to get to the actual master socket. Test your speed when in the master if it increases you probably have a fault on your extension wiring.

Rahere 17:49 09 Jul 09

I don't know if you are a heavy user but some ISPs (including BT) will slow your connection to a crawl if they think you are over using your connection - this happened to at least one person I know and BT swore blind they weren't doing anything like it for a weeks!

RobCharles1981 18:16 09 Jul 09

Yimbo

Who is your isp out of interest? Can you post your full line stats??

manrow 20:21 09 Jul 09

Rahere

Read on the following thread of my experiences with BT cap!

click here

woodchip 22:07 09 Jul 09

As Technotiger above

Yimbo 12:41 15 Jul 09

Sorry for the delay in responding to your posts - I've been away for a few days! I've tried all your suggestions - re mosdem, filters etc - a slight improvement, but nothing great! RobTheOrganGuru - where do I find my "full line stats"? My ISP is Supanet. They want to get BT to check out my line - at a cost, of course!

provider 2 12:55 15 Jul 09

Line stats (menu on the left): click here

T I M B O 13:16 15 Jul 09

NO no no no no!!! ,,,, there is no cost to you, your ISP pays for all of that to check out your telephone line.
Telephone your ISP and ask for "the fair usage dept" and ask them if you have been capped?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…