Broadband Speeds

Celery is very stringy 13:26 09 Oct 04

I want to switch to broadband but am slightly confused over upload speeds. No ISP's seem to talk about them. They only talk about download speed.

I want to go for a 512k package but would welcome some advice on what upload speed I should expect for that. Do most packages have 256k upload?

I've heard people mention that some 512k packages only have upload of 125k (i.e. NTL) or thereabouts. I don't want to get caught out. The latest Tesco's deal looks very attractive but nowhere on their website does it mention upload.

VoG II 13:31 09 Oct 04

Have a browse of click here

Are you planning to do a lot of uploading?

Noelg23 13:38 09 Oct 04

what part of the country do u live in cos if you live in London especially in Central London, Bulldog do full 512K upload but go to the site and see more click here

Noelg23 13:40 09 Oct 04

oopps wrong one...here it is...click here

ddd3 14:01 09 Oct 04

Some ISPs don't like it if you plan to do much uploading. When you've chosen your provider check that they don't have restrictions.

If you want to upload and download at the same speed, then you don't want ADSL.

Noelg23 14:03 09 Oct 04

true...you want whats known as SDSL...Symmetric Digital Subscriber Line...does exactly what it says on the tin...your download and upload speeds are the same...so say you want 1Mb...you get that both ways...but be warned...unless your really wealthy you will find it hard to get this and its not available everywhere just yet...mainly used for big businesses.

Maximinus 14:16 09 Oct 04

Take a look at click here - all the providers are compared along with upload speeds.

Good luck.

palinka 17:43 09 Oct 04

and before you sign up to Tesco take a look here:click here

CurlyWhirly 20:02 09 Oct 04

I think most UK ISP's only offer 256 kbps upload speed and the reason being that MOST people download a lot more data then they send.

Celery is very stringy 22:32 09 Oct 04

Thanks all for your responses. The reason I asked about upload was that I understood that to be a critical element to performance in online gaming along with download time. If 256k is the norm then that's what I'll aim to get.

Thanks for the note about Tesco's. I don't think I'll be going there. Especially when I have phoned their customer care line twice (as displayed on their website) to ask them some questions and I hear "This line is not yet in operation" - Marvellous customer care! I feel sorry for anyone already with them who has problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…