Broadband speed with wireless network

peabody 22:00 26 Jul 05

I hope this is not too daft a question! I have recently upgraded from 500mbps broadband to the 1000 mbps service. It occurs to me that I am accessing the internet via a wireless network that runs at a maximum of 54mbps. So am I wasting most of the service I pay for? If I use an ethernet connection, would that be more efficient?

dan11 22:13 26 Jul 05

No it's not a daft question. I sometimes get confused over it. ;-)

I think you have slightly mixed up your figures. You probably mean you have upgraded from 512Kbps to 1000Kbps ( 1Mb). Unfortunately no one has a broadband connection of 500Mbps or 1000Mbps, yet.:-)

So you have probably gone from 1/2 a meg to 1 meg. The 54Mb of the wireless connection suggests you have "g" standard, a very fast standard and will be fine with 1 meg broadband.

It can sometimes be very difficult differentiating between kbp and mbps and setting the maximum transfer rates of lan and wifi cards, makes a complicated situation even worse.

selfbuild 22:15 26 Jul 05

Unfortunatly you can't get a 500MB connection in the UK..... 2MB is the max at moment although 8MB will be possible in the future.

So don't worry about your wireless connection.... it's good for a few years yet.....

peabody 22:42 26 Jul 05

I might have known it was me reading the script wrongly! Thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…