Broadband Speed Tests

olyman 14:18 11 Mar 08

Can anyone advise on the various download speed test sites.
I have been trying several sites all recommended in various forums and get widely different results when comparing tests carried out one after the other at a quiet period. At peak times the results are much worse and more variable.

Audit my PC, Namesco and Tenmeg all give similar results compatible with my 8Mbps rating, 5/9 Mb. ThinkBroadband is similar but only when I use the Port80 option. The standard Port8095 results are always poor.

BroadbandGenie always gives unrealistically high readings, 15>19 Mb

BandwidthPlace and DSL Zone are always poor. I wonder if they also use Port 8095.

What is the significance of the different ports and how are they selected by downloads?

I have also installed Dan Ellwell's BBST program. This gives alarmingly poor test results.
Ping times are deemed to show serious problems, packet losses of 20% are deemed unacceptable and download speeds are always very low. Could this be a port problem?

dwe 14:29 11 Mar 08

try speedtest.net

olyman 14:34 11 Mar 08

If anyone is interested these are the sites mentioned:

click here
click here
click here
click here
click here
click here
click here

Diemmess 14:35 11 Mar 08

I take all readings with a pinch of salt though
all are valuable in comparison tests.

As you said at heavy traffic times, download speed is varying anyway.

I only look at a speed check when either I've nothing better to do, or having a serious slowdown while browsing.

Here are the two I favour
click here
click here
The first always seems less optomistic than the second

olyman 15:15 11 Mar 08

Thanks dwe,

I tried your site click here several times.

It gave generally high speeds 11/14 Mb with one low exception of 1.7 Mb

It suggests using the Maidenhead server but the choice of server doesn't seem to affect the results.
There are no servers local to me. I still don't understand the results I'm getting or the significance of the server location. The BBST program tries a large number of servers worldwide but results are poor overall. The packet loss results are disturbing.

It would be good if someone could try all the choices and see if they get similar wide variations. It could be my set up or my ISP or the test methods.

olyman 15:25 11 Mar 08

I have had some serious slowdowns since I changed to Virgin, hence my current preoccupation. I was hoping that there might be a consensus on the most reliable test.
Things do seem to have improved today but the high packet loss is concerning me most rather than actual speeds.

olyman 13:02 02 Mar 10

Results are now less scattered.
Virgin ADSL is now giving satisfactory speeds most of the time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…