Broadband speed SO SLOW!

Right here goes I Have Blueyonder 1Mb Broadband connection and When it is plugged into my router Netgear Rp114 the speed is really slow and some web pages wont load at all! I did a speed test and the following result - "your estimated download speed (through transparent cache) is : 68KB/s (544KB/S@ Below average - your paying for almost twice thiss!!! Please Help me :(

DieSse 01:17 02 Jun 03

You should first read the terms of your agreement with your ISP and find what data rate they guarantee.

I don't know about yours, but my Spanish 256Kbps service guarantees just 10% of 256.

I hasten to add, that whenever i test it, it averages out at 190-200.

You should also be aware that downloads can be affected by lots of factors other than the maximumbandwidth on your line - like how many are on-line, how busy the server is, some degree of overhead all the time (ie a 1Mbps service will never download at an average of 1Mbps, as there are return packets, retranmissions, rundundany error checking bits, etc.)

You will also find that some sites simply won't supply you data at that rate under any circumstances.

DieSse 01:19 02 Jun 03

PS - you may also be in an area of below par signal quality, with above average error retransmissions.

powerless 01:24 02 Jun 03

Try another speed test also.

Some questions, is this download speed some thing that has just started to happen?
What kind of speed are you getting if the router is not inline?

Yes its only just started to happen this time yesterday it was VERY quick but now it sometimes takes 3 mins to load a web page

Kitz E Kat 10:52 02 Jun 03

I just got broadband and id have to say its the only way to fly, sorry to hear about your woes. Did you do a virus scan , also scan for trojans, are there any programs lurking in the backround ,that may be reducing speed?
Hope you get it sorted, pretty anoying.
Kitz E Kat

vaughan007 12:36 02 Jun 03

Things do vary between ISP's, but DieSse is wrong here. Cable (in the UK at least) is virtually totally unaffected by the amount of users on line and how busy the server is, just because of the way it works. I have had several different cable BB connections at various addresses and they almost always download at virtually maximum rates (only a KB or so below max at worst).

I know ive had broadband for a year now and have never had a problem till now! But I cant see when the problem is I havent changed any settings on either pc! so why would it just stop working like that?

I have checked the other pc connected to the router and it works at full speed! So it must be somting wrong with my pc??

JoeC 12:41 02 Jun 03

you are using the Broadband Speed Test by Daniel Elwell ( which I also have ). Try another test at

click here

as they can also suggest remedies for problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…