Broadband speed reduces every time i connect !!!

jon_hoggy 12:08 28 Jul 07

I'm on a roll of asking for advice, i might as well get another off my chest.

OK my mate tried to install a router for me but couldnt. I had probs after that so did a system restore. Now everytime i connect to broadband (usb modem) the speed reduces. It sounds bonkers, but i had a steady 7.6Mbps speed, and have done for at least 6 months. Next time i started it up it was 7.4, then 7.0, then 6.8 and so on. Currently its 5.8 and still reducing every time i connect. What the heck is going on ? I'll end up contacting my ISP, but i think its too much of a coincidence that its not been the same since my mate (who is supposed to be good with pc's) had a fiddle with my settings... ?

Any comments would be appreciated as always ;-)

ashdav 12:14 28 Jul 07

try using this click here
You may have the wrong settings.
Recommend you read the guide.

Dipso 16:29 28 Jul 07

Your speed may be reducing as frequent disconnects can be interpreted as instability and in order to stabilise your line the BT systems will increase your target noise margin. An increased target noise margin has the effect of lowering your sync speed.

See if you can access your line stats click here and if your downstream noise margin is higher than 6, this is likely to be what has happened.

This is one of the reasons it is better to use a router rather than a USB modem.

I've seen your other thread and you are clearly having problems connecting this router but I would suggest you follow the advice given and stick with the router if at all possible.

Unfortunately TCP Optimizer won't help you to connect at a higher speed again, only iprove your download speeds.

jon_hoggy 20:42 29 Jul 07

Ive been trying to connect a router again and when i switched back to the USB modem, the speed has now plummeted to 3Mbps. If i leave it alone will i see it increase back to what it used to be ?

Dipso 21:38 29 Jul 07

If the decrease in speed is due to the reasons I suggested, which is pure speculation without any evidence, it will return but it could take some time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos