Broadband speed query

L_Driver 17:43 05 Nov 10

I have BT Broadband up to 8mbps service. I have run over the past few days 4 different speed checkers and I am getting no where near the 8mbps ... I live 1 mile from my exchange. Anyway that is not my query as such.When I run the tests using my wireless connection ( 54mbps ), the d/load speeds are half as good as I get when I use my LAN connection to the modem. My sons wireless connected laptop in the next room tests at the same speed as my LAN connection ! My lap has an Intel 2200BG n/work adaptor. What could be the cause of this peculiar situation ?

mooly 17:46 05 Nov 10

Try changing the wireless channel on the BT home Hub from auto to a higher channel such as 11 or 13 as perhaps there is a channel conflict with other users and your sons laptop maybe copes better in some way.

LimestoneRock 18:15 05 Nov 10

If it helps, I was told up to 8Mb but my paperwork said I would receive 3.4Mb (I live 3 Km from exchange) and I actually receive between 1.00 & 1.5 Mb.In trying to get explanation, the ISP does not want to know. What are you actually getting?

L_Driver 18:21 05 Nov 10

Have tried various channels with same result. Currently on channel 11. Actually I have 2 other laps for comparison ( belonging to 2 of my kids ). They BOTH test at speeds similar to my LAN speed. My lap is about 6 yrs old. 1 of the others is 4yrs and the remaining from this year. I sort of feel this is a minor issue with my network adaptor but do not know how to run any tests against it.

woodchip 18:30 05 Nov 10

You are having the same problem I had with Intel Network chip it was running at half the speed. until i used TCP Optimize click here First create a backup with the Program Next Click the Optimize button and follow through with it then reboot and try the test

L_Driver 19:40 05 Nov 10

Woodchip, I don`t come to this site that often but from memory you have provided many a solution to previous issues I`ve had. This occasion is no exception. D/loaded and ran that utility. My speed tests at almost double now using several test sites. Ta again mate, you`re a goodun.

woodchip 23:07 05 Nov 10

Glad to have helped

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…