Broadband speed problem.

swanseajack61 20:29 19 Jun 09

I have just had the new virgin media 50 meg broadband. I have a 50 meg connection coming into my house and this is showing on the engineers laptop when he is doing a speed test and also on a friends lap top via a speed test. The problem is I cannot get the 50 meg speed on my PC. I have been advised this may be down to a problem with my PC, it is a few years old but and is using the realtek rtl8139 family pci fast ethernet nic network card. Would this network card not be able to handle the 50 meg broadband or would anyone else have any suggestions as to why this is not working.

The engineer has been back 6 times and every time he has tried the same speed test as me he is getting the 50 meg as promised and so do some of the laptops I have borrowed from friends.

Can someone please help. Do I need a new network card or is that not the problem. And why cant my PC get 50 meg when other laptops tried at the same time can.

Please help

baldydave 20:36 19 Jun 09

Hi,
Try updating the network card driver from here,
click here(L)/RTL8100C(L)/RTL8101L/RTL8139C(L)/RTL8139C(L)+/RTL8139D(L)/RTL8100(L)/RTL8130/RTL8139B(L)

woodchip 20:42 19 Jun 09

Try running TCPOptimizer.exe click here
Worked on my HP Laptop. it doubled the speed so that I get same speed as my Ethernet connected Desktop

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…