Broadband speed increase/modem

Ironman556 14:55 05 Jul 05

Hi I have a Netgear DG824M broadband router currently connected to my 512K Pipex internet connection. Sometime this month (I hope) Pipex should switch my line to 1Mbps as part of their upgrade program. Do I need to reconfigure my router? Does anyone know what the fastest broadband connection this router will take is? I've looked on the Netgear site before but can't find anything. Thanks.

woodchip 15:11 05 Jul 05

No

Ironman556 15:33 05 Jul 05

That's a no to reconfiguring? What about the limits of max speed?

woodchip 15:40 05 Jul 05

No IDEA on that, but worry when the time comes, it will be BIG Download speed that is.

Minkey1 15:43 05 Jul 05

Pretty sure all current ADSL modems (even the Alcatel frog) will support up to 8 meg. After the upgrade, hovering over the pair of screens should show your connection at around 1.1 meg - although actual results will of course vary according to contention and neighborhood useage and general internet/site traffic. click here to try your up and down speeds at various times, but you should see a definite improvement going to 1 meg.

Cheers

Mike

Stuartli 15:50 05 Jul 05

You don't need to worry about whether your modem will handle faster broadband speeds.

Ironman556 11:43 06 Jul 05

Will sit back and wait to be swapped... any day now :-D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…