broadband speed check

andyfrog 21:17 24 Dec 07

hi,i have just been upgraded to 20meg broadband with ntl.they did this free of charge after i threatened to leave so people should try it.anyway my point is that i have been on various speed checking sites but they all differ,i.e.,one will say i have 10meg and another 5 and so on.is there a proper way of checking my speed.thanx in advance for any replies.

howard64 21:22 24 Dec 07

channel 5 tv - the gadget show have a link to a good speed checker as part of their assault on isps not saying what speed you will actually get.

andyfrog 21:33 24 Dec 07

thanx,just been on their site and checked my speed which was just over 1meg.but site might be busy so i will try again another time just hope im not getting ripped off.

andyfrog 21:33 24 Dec 07

thanx,just been on their site and checked my speed which was just over 1meg.but site might be busy so i will try again another time just hope im not getting ripped off.

iscanut 21:42 24 Dec 07

Have a look at this to check your speed

click here

MCE2K5 22:02 24 Dec 07

Andy, Try this one, click here, Best i've used upto now.

MCE2K5 22:09 24 Dec 07

Andy, Try this one, click here, Best i've used upto now.

MCE2K5 22:13 24 Dec 07

Sorry about the double post, BT Slow today.

mrwoowoo 22:32 24 Dec 07

I was looking at some forums earlier on and they were of the opinion that when you got upgraded to 20mb it takes 10days to 2 weeks to get your maximum speed.This is so that you don't keep getting disconnected whilst they probe for the max speed your line can comforably handle.
Will have a look and see if i can find it.

andyfrog 22:35 24 Dec 07

tried both-TStools - Speedtest=7105kbps and speedtest.net=15987.as you can see it varies.i no it depends on how many are using the site tho.

andyfrog 22:38 24 Dec 07

i must admit when i phoned ntl they said it might take awile.just thort they were fobbing me off.i guess i will have to wait a week or two.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017