Broadband speed

manrow 22:39 11 Mar 08

Can someone please explain what my download/upload figures translate to?

On the Namesco test I achieved 244/243 respectively. Are these numbers anywhere near the 8MB speed the BT test site should be available on my telephone line?

woodchip 22:57 11 Mar 08

No they are very low. I am on TalkTalk 8meg 1.8 miles from Exchange and get on the above with a Wireless Laptop

Download 2562kbps

Upload 367kbps

When wireless as above it gets cut by more than half my Ethernet speed. on my desktop

manrow 07:25 12 Mar 08

Thanks woodchip you have provided part of the answer as these figures are for using my wireless laptop. What would you expect the numbers to be if I connect by cable?

woodchip 13:13 12 Mar 08

You may get about 600 download speed looking the the above. I would check with BT as it looks like you may have noise on the line and it draging your speed down

manrow 13:59 12 Mar 08

Thanks Woodchip, I will take that point up with them. It might explain why my laptop wireless speeds away from this house are so much quicker?!

oldbeefer2 14:08 12 Mar 08

From personal experience, BT only react to faults reported by your ISP, so you need to take the issue up with them first.

manrow 14:17 12 Mar 08

Thanks oldbeefer2, a good point made just in time!!

aine 19:31 12 Mar 08

I am with namesco,just done a speed test achieved 1172/246kbps. I am on a fixed adsl rate of 2MB,with a wireless connection. Not bad for this time of day

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…