Broadband speed

K_elt 16:36 30 Dec 07

I connect from my desktop, Time XP2200 via Thompson 330 usb DSL modem. When I check my dl speed from thinkbroadband speed test it showed 2, 2.4 & 1.5mb in successive tests.

I have a laptop connected via a crossover cable accessing the 'net via ICS and when I did a speed check from the laptop I got 2, 3.4 & 3.2mb dl speeds.

AOL is my ISP and I'm on up to 8mb service. Anyone know why the laptop can connect quicker?

Jim

Dipso 17:39 30 Dec 07

The desktop may need a tweak. Download TCP Optimiser from click here select the adapter from the drop-down list, move the slider to your connection speed and hit Optimal settings then Apply. Reboot and see if things improve.

Stuartli 19:31 30 Dec 07

Make sure that the MTU setting is 1432 - AOL and TalkTalk both use a lower MTU figure than the majority of ISPs (and the Windows default of 1500).

You can set the figure from TCP Optimiser manually.

Stuartli 19:32 30 Dec 07

Make sure that the MTU setting is 1432 - AOL and TalkTalk both use a lower MTU figure than the majority of ISPs (and the Windows default of 1500).

You can set the figure from TCP Optimiser manually.

K_elt 21:09 30 Dec 07

Thanks for the info. Latest tests showed 3.4, 2.9 & 3.3mb!

Jim

Dipso 21:16 30 Dec 07

Excellent!

Stuartli 21:20 30 Dec 07

Good the hear. Here's a bit more about the MTU setting:

click here

After more than 18 months with TalkTalk, I began to get the problems of not being able to send e-mails with attachments or not being able to open certain websites.

After a lot of ferreting I found the above information (this MTU is not listed in the standard TT router configuration settings) and the problems immediately disappeared...:-)

Stuartli 21:21 30 Dec 07

Good to hear.

K_elt 10:53 03 Jan 08

Just to add, I got a Netgear Wireless router, set it up with the included disc, and now getting over 5mb regularly! Can't believe after all the calls to AOL they never advised as above, or upgrading the modem (provided by AOL) as (based on the new speeds) it would appear that was a big part of the bottleneck.

Just goes to show, if you need help, come here first!

Many thanks again to those who gave advice.

Jim

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5