Broadband speed

pickle factory 16:27 24 May 06

Hi folks. I'm running XP Pro SP2, AVG and ZA Pro with an internal Conexant Access Runner ADSL modem. Up to last week I had 1Mb/s Plusnet broadband, all sweet, happy bunny. Plusnet have notified me that their new 8Mb/s service has reached me, lovely, except when I do a speed test on Plusnet, I'm still only hitting around 1Mb download speed. My ADSL modem control panel tells me it is receiving at around 6Mb/s and transmitting at around 400Kb/s. I understand that the full 8Mb is subjective to certain conditions, but if my modem sez it is hitting 6Mb, shouldn't my speed test reflect this? Could I have a firwall or software issue slowing my transfer rates?
Cheers

woodchip 16:30 24 May 06

I think you are looking at Connection speed, an entirely different thing to download speed

pickle factory 16:32 24 May 06

Aaaaah! Sorry, could you elaborate, please. Sorry to seem thick, but, unfortunately, I'm thick.

woodchip 16:42 24 May 06

Where are you reading 6Mb/s ? if it's the Icon in system tray that's what you can connect at, But not the same as what it will work at

pickle factory 16:45 24 May 06

It's at the icon and in the control panel. In the control panel it lists receive rate as 6144Kb/s and transmit rate at 448Kb/s. I gather I'm misunderstanding the meaning of these?

Hertz Van Rentyl 16:47 24 May 06

Download Dr TCP and check your receive pane value, if it's set at Windows default you can tweak it a bit.
click here

Hertz Van Rentyl 16:54 24 May 06

Check speeds with these:-
click here

This one usually works better in the morning when USA is asleep
click here

woodchip 16:55 24 May 06

I am on a 1Mb connection but my Router say's this

[IMG]click here[/IMG]

not sure which works

click here

Hertz Van Rentyl 16:59 24 May 06

Looks like a 2Mb connection same as mine.

woodchip 17:01 24 May 06

IT may but I am only on a 1Mb connection with NTL/BT line My downloadf speed is 977 mbps I think it's mbps

Hertz Van Rentyl 17:06 24 May 06

Spot the difference
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…