broadband speed

raggy 2 19:40 29 Nov 04

How can you check what Kps the broadband connection is, as I am on 512 but want to up grade and want to know exactly what my connection speed is at the moment???
also when I up grade my ISP (Wanadoo) say I have to pay a £20 fee to cover BT coming out to open up my phone line so it is able to accept the up garde, does this sound true or another way of getting £20 out of another punter

Mikè 19:47 29 Nov 04
  alan227 19:48 29 Nov 04

Go to this site.
click here

As far as the £20.00 is concerned I cannot help as I am on cable.

Forum Editor 19:49 29 Nov 04

that before your connection speed can be increased a BT engineer has to visit your exchange and make a configuration change to the throttle on your broadband connection. Until this is done the service speed will not increase.

Technotiger 19:53 29 Nov 04

Hi, when on-line you should have a small icon showing in your quick launch bar at bottom right of screen - hover pointer over this icon and it should show speed, but in any case, I don't think you would notice much difference going above 512 -it just 'sounds good'. The slight improvement in speed would only really help if you did a lot of video work; I think:-) About the bt line? sounds a bit dodgy to me.....but I am only an amateur.

JIM 19:56 29 Nov 04

Option 1 at £17.99?

There is a £20 charge if you are moving from a 512kbps connection to a 1Mbps connection.
There is no charge if you are not changing the speed of your connection.

How would I pay the switch-over charge?

The charge will be collected in the same way as your normal monthly payment.

Can I move back to the £27.99 Broadband product which does not have a usage limit?

No, we're afraid it is not possible to move back to the unlimited £27.99 Broadband product.

How long will it take to move from one Wanadoo Broadband product to another one?

We aim to do this within 10 days of you switching - or sooner.

Would the length of my contract change if I change Broadband product?

No, changing Broadband products is not subject to a contract extension.

Is there a change to the Terms of Use of my contract?

No, the Terms and Conditions for your service remain the same. Please visit click here for full details.

Technotiger 20:02 29 Nov 04

Hi Guys, I live and learn ..... that's the beauty of Forums. :-))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…