broadband slowness

thedogisdead2 19:49 05 Nov 04

Hello, I have a 750k Broadband connection, which is pretty fast, but over the last few weeks I have found that pages are slower to load and video streams are slow and jerky.

Also, often when I only have one programme running, the 'virtual memory low' notice comes up.

The computer also will sometimes not shut down probably.

I'm guessing that the first problem has a lot to do with the second.

Could this be to do with nasty spyware and general internet crap that has infested my computer?

How should I oust this? Or should I just do a full reinstall, which is slighly inconvienient but will save a lot of messing around.

Any help would be fab.

Cheers.

howard60 19:54 05 Nov 04

run spybot and it should sort things out.

thedogisdead2 19:57 05 Nov 04

what about adaware?

SANTOS7 20:25 05 Nov 04

click here
click here
click here these will help, maybe altering your memory settings will help as well, if youset your actual/virtual memory settings the same usually one and a half times the ammount of memory you have (mine are set as, no probs)good luck........

Dorsai 20:27 05 Nov 04

Spybot, adaware, a-Squared. (there are many others but i use these 3, and it works for me).

Also you will need Some sort of Anti Virus (i have Norton). A Firewall seems optional, but the anti mal/AV seems a must have.

You have not given details of your system, OS memory Etc. But it does sound like there are some nasties on your system, and they use up your resources till there are none left.

click here have many options for free. but before you try any, seek advice and recomendation about them here. Some better than others.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…