Broadband slower than ever

Pidge2020 21:26 04 Feb 07

Hi,

I have recently had to do a full destructive system recovery due possibly to a virus ( not sure comp just froze and never worked again :(

Today it seemed to be working fine so we re-installed Orange Broadband. Pre-problems our speed was around 3000/3500 kbps and today two different speed tests show us with a fastest speed of 1925 kbps and an upload speed of 245 kbps.

If it is of any use when we re-installed Orange the installation disk said to set our wireless box up as wired first of all using the ethernet lead and also to plug into the 'Red' socket. This wouldn't connect to the net so after far too many minutes on the phone to the tech helpline ( great money making scheme for all ISP's!)the technical guy said to remove from the red socket as we were being told and to plug ethernet lead into the 'Yellow' socket. This then after a 50min call to Orange allowed us to connect to broadband. Obviously would love to avoid the cost of ringing them again so any help gratefully received.

I have a Compaq Presario Pent4 running XP

Dipso 21:34 04 Feb 07

I wonder if the attempts at setting up the connection could have messed up your profile resulting in the lower than usual speeds.

If this is the case it could just be a matter of waiting 3 days for your speed to pick up.

Can you post your line stats. There is a page within the router interface that displays the line stats.

Go to click here

Click on the "Access to the configuration pages" link, then choose System Information from the menu on the left.

If you are prompted to login, the default is username is usually admin and the password is admin.

Pidge2020 22:37 04 Feb 07

Thanks Dipso I'll give it a few days and retest the connection speed.

ADSL firmware version : A2pBT009c1.d17d
Connection mode : G.DMT
Type : Fast
Noise margin (dB) : 24.9
Attenuation (dB) : 44.0
Attainable download rate (kbps) : 7776
ADSL status : Connected [0]

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…