Broadband Signal Strength

MikeRoss 09:53 29 Aug 05

I have just changed my ISP to Eclipse. My D-Link router which previously worked fine using a telephone extension lead will now only work when connected direct to the master phone socket. Is it possible that the broadband signal strength from Eclipse is less than other ISPs? Telephone work fine on the extension lead and I have tried another lead without success.

Graham ® 10:01 29 Aug 05

Same speed as before?

MikeRoss 21:14 29 Aug 05

My previous ISP (UTVinternet) promised 2GB but said line would only work up to 1MB, though this speed was often below 500MB. I currently get around 1600 with the modem into the master socket and using wireless link.

Would greatly appreciate any advice.

Chegs ® 22:04 29 Aug 05

I would monitor the speeds over a few days,testing at various times.I was with Eclipse(512k @ 20:1 ratio)and never experienced any slowdowns.My previous ISP(also 512k)rarely reached the speeds my ISDN could reach,and when they chose to ignore my emailed requests to have it checked I switched to Eclipse.

My present connection is a 2Mb 50:1 connection,during the day it often drops to lower than 500K especially peak times.I am happy enough to allow this to continue as is,and simply wait until post midnite(ish) or pre 1:00pm for any large d/l's(I'm amassing a collection of various linux distro's)

I was quite surprised to find such vast differences in speedtesters,I checked my speed with one last nite(just prior to an online gaming session)that claimed my connection was way down at 50Kbs(even after tweaking!)and I was thinking of missing out on the gaming due to the poor state it appeared to be in.I then re-applied the tweaks,and went to another sites tester,and it reported my connection as 2.2Mbs.A quick visit to d/l a smallish file showed the rate as 246Kbs so off I went and spent several hours beating my thumbtips sore. :-)

Chegs ® 22:05 29 Aug 05

I would monitor the speeds over a few days,testing at various times.I was with Eclipse(512k @ 20:1 ratio)and never experienced any slowdowns.My previous ISP(also 512k)rarely reached the speeds my ISDN could reach,and when they chose to ignore my emailed requests to have it checked I switched to Eclipse.

My present connection is a 2Mb 50:1 connection,during the day it often drops to lower than 500K especially peak times.I am happy enough to allow this to continue as is,and simply wait until post midnite(ish) or pre 1:00pm for any large d/l's(I'm amassing a collection of various linux distro's)

I was quite surprised to find such vast differences in speedtesters,I checked my speed with one last nite(just prior to an online gaming session)that claimed my connection was way down at 50Kbs(even after tweaking!)and I was thinking of missing out on the gaming due to the poor state it appeared to be in.I then re-applied the tweaks,and went to another sites tester,and it reported my connection as 2.2Mbs.A quick visit to d/l a smallish file showed the rate as 246Kbs so off I went and spent several hours beating my thumbtips sore. :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…