Broadband shenanigans !

tenroom 10:52 17 Dec 04

Hi guys ! Newbie so go easy on me !

Right ! Here's the problem. My ISP is Homechoice. I pay for a 1 MB broadband connection which, upon speed rating at both adslguide.org and pcpitstop.com, appears to be actually weighing in at closer to 500-550Kbps. Naturally, I ain't pleased.

After a complaint, they sent their tech guy over to test my connection. He hooked up his laptop - which was running XP - directly to the ethernet network connection. He performed the same speed rating on both websites and - hey presto - he gets 1 MB.

Asked about the glaring discrepancy, he says it one of two things. It's either my Windows 98 SE operating system which often gives problems with ethernet OR it's the fact that my ethernet connector has to go thru an adapter that enables it to be connected to my USB 1.0 port and that I should get a network card which will help no end.

I'm sceptical about the operating system reason cos I just can't see how that would affect internet speed. I'm just as wary of the USB reason cos before they switched over to ethernet, the connection went thru the same USB port and was RAPID ! Can anyone suggest anything cos I'm sitting here contemplating buyin' another PC with all the up-to-date gubbins like USB 2.0 even though my 4/5 yr old PC has given me no problems whatsoever in my ownership.

PsiFox 11:02 17 Dec 04

Running through the USB may cause a problem W98 should not.

I have a network here with xp, 2000 and win 98 and dloads are the same. My 98 system though is not 4-5 years old and has 512MB RAM.

Your best bet would be an iternal PCi ADSL Modem for about £20 and do away with the USB.

PsiFox

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…