//some 3rd party need geo

Broadband sharing network

MAC 16:21 05 Aug 03

I?m currently studying the feasibility and costs of sharing one broadband connection between 5 - 10 users in the cul-de-sac that I live in over a wireless network. I am reading all the magazine articles that I can lay my hands on to understand this new technology and know I will need to invest in one ADSL modem / router coupled with a wireless access point, then a USB or PCI wireless cards for each machine attached to the network.

The questions that I am unable to find answers to are:-
Will the ADSL modem / router act as a stand-alone unit independent of my PC allowing the computer to be turned off and on without disconnecting users?

Will the router or wireless access point require a firewall of some kind?

My current ISP is Virgin.net. Is it known if ISP?s will sell the Broadband line but not the modem, as I would have this already built into the router?

Can anyone out there direct me to websites dedicated to this subject?

And last if anyone out there has done this I would be most grateful to hear from them directly.

Thank you for your trouble
Fatboy 415

recap 19:20 05 Aug 03

Try click here it may give you some guidance.

or

click here for step by step guidance.

hope they help you?

To answer your questions -

First, you will only need a ADSL router and not an access point. You can also get these routers that are equipped with their own modem negating the need for an independant one (3 in 1 - Router, modem and firewall).

Second, if you set up in this way (Router with built in modem) you will have an internet connection regardless of whether your own pc is switched on or not.

90% of all decent routers have a very good built in firewall and you will be able to set encrryption and access to only those computers that you want to allow. Even better is the potential to only allow those machines that have registered their MAC address access. This means that anyone not in the "Loop" will be unable to access the network or connection despite the fact that their computer can "see" the connection.

Many ISP's will simply activate the line, which is all you require, without the need to purchase a modem.

Consider the 802.11a standard due to the fact that you are likly to experince less interference from other devices (DECT phones etc) on this frequency as you are looking at a fairly wide network. Also, consider Routers that allow an extra aeriel (external) to be connected. This would allow you to place an antenna in, say, the attic and minimise any problems of low signal strength.

At the end of it, consider all aspects such as distence, interference and speed and then proceed just as though you were setting up a lan in your own home - the principles are exactly the same!

steve12345 19:47 05 Aug 03

If you buy an ADSL-Modem woth built-in router/wireless abilities then, yes, it will be able to operate without being tied to a PC. Although you WILL have to set it up with a PC at first.

Most ADSL-Modem/Routers have built in firewalls, although each individual PC should run their own software firewall to be more secure.

Try searching for "wireless ADSL" at click here for some ideas for modems.

I have an ADSL-Modem/wireless router shared by four PCs, although only with PCs in the same building.

Be aware that the further away the PC is from the modem the weaker the wireless signal will be. This may affect the speed by which data will be transmitted.

snoresloudly 20:01 05 Aug 03

You would also need to contact the ISP to see if they would support this number of connections with going to a business contract, Freeserve for one say in the TOC that only ONE pc can use the connection. Worht checking out if nothing else.

Also not sure how it would affect the bandwidth if all households are connected and surfing/downloading at the same time,so matbe better going for something like BT business as it is really geared up for this sort of number of users.

My opinion anyway.

snoresloudly 20:11 05 Aug 03

suggest you have a long hard read of click here. section F sub clause's 16/18

Forum Editor 23:50 06 Aug 03

you'll find that sharing an ADSL service in this way is a contravention of the agreement you'll be entering into with your ISP.

You would effectively be distributing an ADSL service in your own right, and I have no doubt that you intend to make a charge to the other users for the service. This would (when discovered) lead your ISP to disconnect you immediately.

An additional (although purely technical) problem would be that as many as 10 users online at the same time would mean that all of them would experience a very slow service - which would make it a pointless exercise. You would also discover that a conventional wireless network operating over the area you describe would hardly be guaranteed to deliver a reliable signal to everyone. My advice is to forget the idea.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…