Broadband Setup - Phone line extenstion

Giggsy252 13:57 30 Mar 05

hi

Im thinking of getting ADSL broadband however in the room where the laptop is their is no wall phone socket, just an extension lead coming from another room (about 10 metres).

I was just wondering can i plug the filter into the extention or does it directly have to into the wall socket??

The reason i ask is that i have heard that if you plug BB modem from extension, you lose some signal.

Any suggestions would be grateful.

plsndrs3 14:07 30 Mar 05

The filter must be plugged into the BT socket - not to an lead. However, my B/B is connected by a 15m lead then a filter then to an extension box. The BT main box is just by the front door, the extension in an upstairs bedroom diagnally opposite.

Even though I live on the outer reaches from the BT Exchange [it took 6 months to get broadband into my office at home] I cannot see any loss in performance in comparing my works PC connected by a 2m lead into a main box with my PC indoors.

Paul

DieSse 14:45 30 Mar 05

I've seen them working OK when plugged into the wall socket followed by an extension lead, and into the end of an extension lead. I can't see why it would make any difference, either.

Giggsy252 15:04 30 Mar 05

thanks for the replies, the reason i ask is because of this article here by Tiscali.

click here

Any views on this would be appreciated.

anchor 15:25 30 Mar 05

About 9 years ago I had an phone extension socket installed in the room I use as an office in my home. I am sure Broadband had not even been thought of then, so normal cable would have been used.

I plugged in the microfilter, then the ADSL modem, and all works well with good speeds and no problems. Recently changed to a router, and all still fine. Where you actually plug in the microfilter will depend on where you wish to use a phone.

Shas 15:32 30 Mar 05

Giggsy252, I have Tiscali broadband and I use a 10m one of these click here , which you can get in B & Q or Tescos. Mine's set up like this: RJ11 modem lead into ext.lead; ext.lead into filter; filter into phone socket. It works just fine.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:07 30 Mar 05

PC upstairs

lead wired into master socket downstairs filter on end of 10m lead working ok

However BB doesnot seem to work when fed through surge protector.

Furthark 19:09 30 Mar 05

My main BT socket is outside (don't ask) I run a 10m extension lead into my home then use the filter for my BB & phone, Everything works ok, (fingers crossed)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…