Broadband Setup

snowy30 00:12 11 Jun 04

Broadband setup will be easy on any other computer. Trying to setup ntlworld broadband on this computer has become a mighty real task. I gotten as far as the "common problem" of 'Network Adapter error' during the setup procedure. I phoned up the technician line to solve the problem, only that wasn't the only problem there was. The problem we faced with, and something he didn't know how to solve was a missing file called nettrans.cat. It detected the USB cable modem on startup, then it required some missing file called nettrans.cat? I was instructed to put in the OEM CD Windows 98, and type a path for this file C:\Windows\options\cabs; C:\win98; and another one I can't remember, all of which didn't solve the problem. Can anyone help? before I throw this thing out the window

VoG II 00:19 11 Jun 04

Is this a single PC, or are you trying to connect a network?

snowy30 00:54 11 Jun 04

Its a single PC on its own, VoG

hugh-265156 01:13 11 Jun 04

im not sure what this is exactly but it seems it should be included with windows 98 click here=

try this. click start/run and type 'sfc' and click ok and insert your windows disc if prompted to do so.this will find and replace any missing or damaged system files.

then try running the ntl set up disc maybe.

nyleridedog 01:25 11 Jun 04

is it usb drivers for a cable modem?

snowy30 02:25 11 Jun 04

Well, I attempted to uninstall and re-install the software myself, as it didn't work the first time when I was on the phone to him, for the usb cable connection the way the technician told me to. Only this time I instead got usb.cat and usbhub.sys files missing as well

:o/

nyleridedog 02:31 11 Jun 04

i think what you need to do is browse right into the folder opn the disk drive!
if you have peviosly ran a tool to delete all the files!
when you are reinstalling the hardware, it looks on the hard drive!
browse directlty to the the folder on the disk so like
d:\win98usb? something like that

snowy30 02:42 11 Jun 04

Right, ok I'll give that and huggy's a go and see how I get on, thx guys.

snowy30 21:22 12 Jun 04

Thx guys for your help. I ran sfc to replace any damaged or missing files, then I looked in the *.cat and *.sys folders to make sure the required files are there, after that was confirmed, I continued the setup process and...EUREKA!

:o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…