Broadband settings

grifval 14:26 15 Sep 05

I did a check on my system and it reported I was getting 40% packet loss?
As you do, I started messing with settings, I actually did a test recommended by PC Advisor to ping them and put a MTU figure. Keep dropping it until it is not broken up, then add 28 and use that as MTU. My results were 1408 +28 =1436 as my MTU.
I have 1mb speed broadband, and this figure seems low. Does anyone have any opinions on this?
Many thanks,
grifval.

woodchip 14:37 15 Sep 05

40% packet loss. Drop the figure until it stops

Chegs ® 14:43 15 Sep 05

I have occasionally had a go at tweaking my ADSL.Its impossible to gauge whether you've improved it as the various "speedtests" online can be extremely erratic(depending on time of day,number of users testing,etc)Best to return to "Default" settings and leave well alone.

Its also dependant on use to which the connection is being put,I can have either slightly faster downloads,but poor connectivity for gaming or good connectivity(lower pings)but crap downloading speeds(I have 2Mb Tiscali)

woodchip 14:53 15 Sep 05

Yes as above I tend to go for the more reliable settings as the speed the works out faster. Even though they not be set at optimal

Stuartli 15:24 15 Sep 05

Have a look at:

click here

which has a range of broadband speed tweaks suggestions.

Stuartli 15:25 15 Sep 05

My Tiscali 2MB download and upload speeds are equal or better than the expected figures according to both the BT and manx.net speed checks.

grifval 19:46 15 Sep 05

Many thanks for all the thoughts given. I think I will now leave well alone even though it doesn't seem to be a very good figure.
Grifval.

woodchip 21:40 15 Sep 05

My router is set to 1450 and seems to work OK at that speed

Chegs ® 21:50 15 Sep 05

My MTU is set to 1500,my d/l's are frequently above 225kbs(and if its peak times.below 512kbs:-( )I can get my d/l to higher but at the expense of gaming performance.My uploads are usually 30+kbs,and vary slightly depending on d/l speeds(as I said,tweaking "can" improve one to the detriment of the other)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…