Broadband set up problems

acheron99 15:01 29 Oct 06

Hi

I have recently taken SKY broadband offer and have just had the router delivered.

Having connected everything and gone through the install instructions I didn`t get an internet connection.

I have since spent nearly an hour an a half on the phone to their call centre (India I think) after which time the lady tells me my PC doesn`t have a LAN port. OK, so how do I get one, she doens`t know and says see the PC manufacturer.

So how do I go about getting a LAN port on to my PC (I'm ok with pc programs but no good technically on them). Can I just buy something from PC world, plug it in and hey presto it works, or is it an ethernet card I need and again can i get one easily.

Would be grateful of any help, preferably in simple in English, and an idea of cost of resolving said problems.

Thanks

ulrich 15:06 29 Oct 06

What are the specs of your pc?

martd77 15:07 29 Oct 06

you can purchase an ethernet card from anywhere they are only cheap and easy to fit
click here

martd77 15:11 29 Oct 06

actually id be curious to know ,if you have connected everything i assume that includes the ethernet cable then your connection should work,maybe your ethernet card in your pc is faulty

acheron99 15:35 29 Oct 06

Everything was connected, broadband box had lights on to show that ethernet cable was in, poer on and it was connected to a broadband signal. Broadband seems to be wired up, just seems to be an issue between my pc and the broadband box. Could the NTL connection I had effect this?

Not sure full spec of PC, had it built by a client a couple of years back - It has an athlon amd processor (not sure the speed), 1gb RAM, 80gb hard drive, 256mb graphics card.

baldyx 16:37 29 Oct 06

If you go to START >Accessories>System Tools>System Information, will give you the pc details.

bruno 19:36 29 Oct 06

Have Sky activated your connection.When I joined them there was a gap of several days before Sky made the connection.They were late sending the router and even later connecting.I had to phone them to remind them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…