Broadband services and a settle down period?

Diemmess 17:04 12 Mar 08

"There are none so blind as those that will not see."
Perhaps I am one of those!

Recently, on several threads the advice has been offered that it is a mistake to switch off the router, because it takes time to settle down at first and download speeds will improve for some considerable time after power is applied.

I confess to not believing this mantra.

Certainly like the computer itself, time is needed to boot up, though I think my PC takes longer than does my router.

My own experience with variations in download speed seems to be the fault of my ISP.
It occurs at irregular times, recovering by itself and regardless of how long it has been switched on.

Sticking out this scrawny old neck, I have a feeling that never-switch-off, belongs to the same crowd who were impressed by the Emporer's new clothes.

Fingees 17:14 12 Mar 08

My BT wireless router explains that it can take up to 10 days after installation to reach maximum speed.

It is because is starts up at a slow speed and gradually increases, so as not to loose contact.

Every time the power to the router is switched off, it starts slower and takes time to reach max.

Diemmess 17:17 12 Mar 08

Wow Fingees, that's a good start at demolishing my supposition.

Dipso 21:57 12 Mar 08

There shouldn't be an ongoing "settling in period" as once you have gone through the initial 10 days training period which sets the fault thresholds for your line, that should be it. Even then, this only applies to ADSL Max connections as they are subject to BT's BRAS profiling system, so it isn't the case if you are on LLU using the ISP's own equipment at the exchange.

Whether you switch your router off at night or not is down to personal choice. Some lines are more stable than others and would connect at the same speed every time the router was rebooted, however, some lines will connect at a different speed each time.

The most important thing is not to switch the router on/off more than a few times in a short period of time as this can be seen as instability and can cause your line to reconnect at a slower speed until it is seen to be stable again, usually 14 days later.

Take a note of what your connection speed is rather than the download speed. The connection speed is dictated by your line conditions whereas your download speed is dictated by your ISP's capacity and contention at your exchange.

FatboySlim71 08:46 13 Mar 08

Diemmess

I am one of the people who don't switch off their modems and I will tell you why,

I have on occasions switched my modem/router off of an evening, I will add that I had run the BT Speedtest so I knew what my line speed was etc. I had switched it on in the morning and my IP profile was 6500 kbps prior to me doing this my IP profile was 7150 kbps, fair enough the IP profile went back to 7150 after about 3 days, but for the very little electric it would save by switching the modem/router off, I simply don't think its worth it, since I have started leaving my modem/router switched on my IP profile has remained the same.

I agree with Dipso regarding "initial 10 days training period" I know Dipso helped me out a hell of a lot when I first changed my ISP and was having fluctuating speeds. I will add that my speeds settled down within the 10 days.

Fingees 17:10 13 Mar 08

Just a small point if using BT wireless modem/router.

The firmware is sometimes updated about 3.30 in the morning.

Another reason for keeping it on.

Diemmess 17:53 13 Mar 08

Thanks everyone so far: All well grounded comment, I'm grateful.

Facts to vary or confirm what has been said

BT line
ISP Aol v.9
O.S. XP pro
Router is an ADDON GWAR3500 Wireless ADSL 2/2+ 4 port. Hard wired to PC with laptop connection by wireless

To judge from the number of threads about varying or downright poor connection speeds, this is a widespread problem now that so many people are replacing the early Broadband connection with a wireless one.

After a fortnight of violent see-saws from 1800 down to about 55 I have had around 1500 -1700 all through the last 24 hrs. I have re-arranged the plugs so that the router is staying live for a trial fortnight to see what speed gain if any occurs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant