Broadband service in UK - Top 3 are...

siliconbits 19:23 17 Aug 03

Just for the information... I've checked on broadband-hlep and I'd like to have yr feedback as well...

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:38 17 Aug 03

Take yer choice...Pipex, AOL, Freeserve, Zen, Force9, Tiscali, BT, Bulldog, etc., etc., they all use BT as a line provider and they are all reliable. It is unlikely that you will need the helpdesks more than once and there is always these forums for incisive help. The ISPs will all have those who have had problems (service, connection, billing) and those users who have had naff all problems (*ahem* moi) so any 'comparisons' are unlikely to be of much use.

For what it's worth I use Tiscali BB and have never had a problem with speed, service et al...however others could regard them as the evil impish servants o'de debble.

Connection quality is more to do with where you are based rather than the name of the ISP. When choosing I went for Tiscali because a). I used for for dialup since screaming.net days and found them brilliant and b). they offered a free modem, connection and filters. I was tempted with Pipex as they were slightly cheaper but better the devil ya know. Choose any of the above and take into account monthly cost, setup costs and period of contract. As all the connections go through BT you could do worse than signing up to the flute playing man.

G

Wilham 20:04 17 Aug 03

I chose Tiscali for same reasons, and agree with you. At change-over Tiscali said I should collect my email/screaming.net on a pay-as-you-go BT line at local rate. But someone has said I can recall it "free" on my Tiscali bb. Do you know if this is so?

jimv7 20:14 17 Aug 03

I chose f9 broad band @ £18.99 per month, good connection no problems.

fitshase 21:01 17 Aug 03

I'm on Blueyonder broadband (just the basic 512K service not the 1Mb or 2Mb).

Speeds are good, reliability excellent.

Regards

Fitshase

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:41 17 Aug 03

I had to use PAYG dialup for a few days during the changeover and my screaming.net mail is download by my BB connection. If you have a screaming.net addy this is unavoidable, assuming you wish to keep it.

G

Wilham 12:33 18 Aug 03

Thanks for info. Tiscali service is good except for promptness with bills. I'm happy if they don't want the money on time,- it's up to them. On the other hand my wife feels unhappy with irregular invoicing.

Xevious 12:58 18 Aug 03

like Fitshase, i too have blueyonder bb 512k, great service, great technical support, great speed, great reliability (no i don't work for them...)

no d/l limits either (yet!)

i came over from freeserve dial-up, well, what

-pops- 13:20 18 Aug 03

I'm with BT and have been since the broadband service was available in this area (ages ago). I didn't choose BT. I had to accept BT as it was the only ISP offering the service at the time. I was with BT dialup and got the broadband installation done on special free incentive offer. I pay a bit over the odds now compared with some but I am happy with the service. The downtime of the service has only been a few hours overall in the several years I've had it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…