BROADBAND SECURITY

BODS 08:12 30 Jun 05

Hello,my pc winxp is connected to cable broadband via modem and winxp firewall also ez anti-virus/spybot. When pc,modem etc, are switched off- no electrical power at all and only connections, is via the pc, ethernet cable,modem,then to cable connection socket. Is this safe fron hackers/viruses/sprware etc.

thanks bods

User-312386 08:16 30 Jun 05

If the PC is switched off then yes you are safe. The hard disc is not in use and therefore a virus can not enter the PC.

961 09:17 30 Jun 05

For better protection you need a firewall such as Zone Alarm or Sygate. Both have free versions. The Windows firewall only monitors traffic in one direction whereas these control traffic both in and out of your computer.

Remember if you install one of these turn your windows firewall off.

TomJerry 09:49 30 Jun 05

some PCs (mainly motherboards) have a function called "Wake Up by Lan" which means that the PC can be switched on remotely.

If you are concerned, get into bios set up to disable this function. Or switch off power after you finish PC.

Stuartli 10:31 30 Jun 05

I have the same setup for broadband as I used to do for dialup i.e Search and Destroy, SpywareBlaster, Ad-Aware SE and AVG7 (but since switched to Avast for auto updating benefits).

I've had no problems even though my system is on all day, every day.

Stuartli 16:34 30 Jun 05

I've forgotten to include ZoneAlarm (free), perhaps the most important of all...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…