Broadband Safety And Lightning Storms

albu 10:30 11 May 04

I have just switched to Broadband and as the DSL line is always connected to the main telephone box through a DSL filter is it safe to keep it connected during a storm due to lightning?
I read sometime ago about pc equipment etc being damaged due to lightning.

Many Thanks

Aspman 13:26 11 May 04

Good question. We had a bad thunderstorm round my way yesterday.

Lightning regularly knackers anologue modems, they don't always need to switched on either which I find odd but over the years I've found it to be true. I suppose they could kill ADSL modems just as easily.

You can buy surge protected power adapters which have phone sockets built in to protect modems. One of those would do the trick but they do tend to be the more expensive models.

Sapins 13:46 11 May 04

I've been on broadband for a few months now and I keep it on 24/24 I live in an area of France that gets some really violent thunderstorms and have had no problems, just spoke too soon I fear :-0 I have a Belkin surge protector.

bruno 13:58 11 May 04

Lightning can take anything connected out if your luck is out.You can unplug your connection on broadband the same as you can on dial up.I f you think there is a bad storm about be safe rather than sorry.I used to manage an electrical business and we once had a newly rewired house had it's ring main stripped out and the local electricity board blamed a ligthning strike.Fortunately it is the only time I have heard of this.Protect what you can with surge protectors and the like and keep your fingers crossed.

Graham ® 14:33 11 May 04

There is a greater risk if your phone line comes from a pole, rather than underground all the way.

A broadband 'modem' is at no more risk because it is 'always on'.

Bear in mind that a surge protector is just that - it is not a lightning protector.

By all means disconnect the modem and the PC mains plug, but as bruno above says, nothing will withstand a direct strike!

Sapins 14:39 11 May 04

I understood that the telephone earth is sufficient protection because it is so much more efficient.

Will not Belkin honour their guarantee if it is a lightning strike that destroys the hardware, or does it not cover that?

Bagsey 14:57 11 May 04

I was looking at a Belkin Surge suppressor yesterday and I think I remember the wording that " This a SURGE suppressor not Lightning Protector" was written on the box, so I dont think they offer any guarantee against lightening.

Sapins 15:16 11 May 04

Better pull the plug when the next storm arrives :-( Although I'll check my insurance first and if that covers it I'll take the risk.

Bingalau 17:57 11 May 04

I am going back a bit I know. But my dad always taught me to unplug everything in the house, if and when there was a storm in the offing. Furthermore he used to go around and unplug any electrical equipment every night before going to bed for the night. Mind you the only electric equipment we had was a radio/wireless and perhaps an iron in those days. Come to think of it even the wireless was battery/accumulator driven. We had gas lights. I wonder if computers were gas driven in those days? (We now have wind-up radios I see)

Graham ® 18:00 11 May 04

May I expand on my post of 14:33. A surge supressor WILL give protection against a surge (spike) on the phone line or mains, induced by lightning somewhere in the local area.

Anyone wanting to see a lightning protection system should visit Emley Moor transmitter.

Sapins, the telephone earth of which you speak is indeed efficient. But it's at the exchange!

dazzling 18:23 11 May 04

i believe emly moor has snow protection aswell now.darren

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…