Broadband Router Question

Jason-284828 12:39 26 Dec 03

I'm going t buy a router to share my broadband connection between my laptop which runs XP Home and my desktop which runs 98.

My laptop has a 802.11b wireless network card, if I buy a router which can be run wireless will my broadband connection be the same as if i was conected to the router and if not will I see a marked difference in the connection speed. I'm using NTL 600K Broadband.

Thanks for any help.

DAG88 12:42 26 Dec 03

Although wireless networking is much slower than using cables, it ia still much faster than your broadbands speed. If you are only networking to share your internet, you shouldn't notice any difference but if you transfere files between the 2 PCs then you will

bremner 12:43 26 Dec 03

Go for a 54g router it will be backward compatable with your card and future proof.

I experience no slow down in internet speed comparing a hard wired connection against a wireless connection.

Jason-284828 12:44 26 Dec 03

Thanks for that, does it make any diffenece that I've only got 802.11B AND NOT 802.11g wireless network card??

bremner 12:47 26 Dec 03

No totally backward compatable - will obviously connect at the speed of the network card though

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…