Broadband Router help!!

Aiptek 10:27 29 May 03

I've just purchased a Broadband Router + 4 Port 10/100 Ethernet Switch - Model Name: BR41. The manual can be seen by click here

Now I don't know how to connect this router to the broadband modem. I've got a USB broadband Modem from Tiscali. I want to setup a network between 3 computers with internet access. I've been told that I will need a router that’s also a Ethernet switch.

So I've purchased this Router. How do I connect the USB modem to the Router when it has an RJ45 connection? and what sort of cables/converter will I need?

Your help will be appreciated.

jazzypop 10:36 29 May 03

It can't be done.

You either need to buy a router that can accept an incoming USB connection from the ADSL modem (such as a few of the Vigor routers), or change your ADSL modem to a model that has an Ethernet-out connection (instead of USB), or but=y a combined modem/router that connects directly to the ADSL microfilter on your phone socket.

It seems you have been poorly advised.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(

jazzypop 10:38 29 May 03

Sorry about the typo.

'or but=y a combined modem/router' should read 'or buy a combined modem/router'.

Aiptek 10:42 29 May 03

Thank you very much for your help. Now could you please advise me what sort of Router I need? Bearing in mind that I have a USB modem.

Or I could get a modem that has an Ethernet-out connection.

I think I would go for the one that works out cheaper.

Aiptek 10:45 29 May 03

To be honest, I'm new to all this. Is it possible you could advise me a product that is combined modem/router.

I have been told that this router that I have now is a combined modem/router. But I'm not sure.

Aiptek 10:46 29 May 03

Sorry jazzypop. I dont know why I've typed my nickname instead of yours.

Aiptek 11:22 29 May 03

¬ Bang ¬

JoJoJo 11:30 29 May 03

The NetGear DG814 seems to be quite popular (I ordered one yesterday and am waiting for its delivery!). It has a modem built in and a wizard installation to help you set up net access on all machines. All you need to do is connect a cable from each computer to the router. The only trouble is that this would then make your existing router and modem redundant. Perahps you could get them exchanged if you only bought them recently? The DG814 is around £75 + VAT.

soy 11:38 29 May 03

Doesn't your Router have an RJ-11 socket? If it does, you use an RJ-11 cable and plug it into your microfilter. An RJ-11 plug looks like this: click here . You should have the socket in your microfilter. Get an RJ-11 cable (One that has the plug at both ends) and connect the router to your microfilter. You won't need your USB modem anymore as your router is a modem itself.

Aiptek 11:52 29 May 03

Thanks soy & JoJoJo for helping me. The router does'nt have an RJ-11 socket. It has an RJ-45 socket.

If you click here scroll done until you see the back picture of the router. Next to Console is the connection for the modem

Aiptek 12:30 29 May 03

¬ Bang ¬

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…