Broadband Router

hockeyman18 22:09 25 Apr 03

Im upgrading to Broadband. My current network means i have to turn on my first pc to connect my second to the internet as im using internet connection sharing. Will a router enable me to connect the second without turning on the first?
I have been to different sites and am now very confused! Any help would be appreciated.

PSF 22:21 25 Apr 03

Yes, with the router you can use the pc's independently, all you have to do is switch on the cable modem and router and then any pc connected to it will work.

Bebee 22:25 25 Apr 03

Yes.

I know what you mean about confusion. I spent some time making sure I was getting what I wanted and making sure it would do what I expected.

The broadband connection (from the modem) links into the router and then the router links to both computers. You don't use ICS and you don't then need both computers on. They access the internet via the router.

I went for a Wireless Router/Access Point which provides a network connection for the two computers aswell. I'm really pleased with the setup.

troydi 23:39 25 Apr 03

We went for the Netgear 814Dg after many problems trying to configure the modem to the router. The netgear is a modem and router in one, which makes life a lot easier, and it's a pretty good router at that. Make sure before you buy that you can get technical support for both items (if getting router and modem separately), and that you can connect the modem to the router. Our initial problem was that we had an adsl modem provided by the isp, that connected usb to the pc. We bought the router and that was only ethernet connection. Check the connectivty of the hardware first. Solves manyissuees later on!

Bebee 09:02 26 Apr 03

Good advice troydi.

hockeyman18, You seem to have your original question answered. I would suggest you post when you have more information on what you need and your broadband setup. You'll probably find someone who has a similar setup who can give more specific advice from experience.

Plenty of research (as you seem to be doing) is essential to get a smooth setup.

Good luck - it was worth it in the end.

Bebee 09:19 26 Apr 03

I posted this in the wrong thread, I think.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…