Broadband Router?

Lord_Anubis 22:24 11 Feb 03

This is more of a question than a problem, and you'll all probably think i'm an idiot for even asking but i'm not that familiar with broadband. I have a networkcard which doubles as a broadband router, does this mean that my network card also acts as an ADSL broadband modem or does it simply mean that 'with the aid of an additional modem' i'll be able to connect to broadband? In short i'm asking weather i need a broadband modem (ADSL) given that a already have a router???

Any tips will be usefull.

jazzypop 22:30 11 Feb 03

I can't imagine what a 'network card that doubles as a broadband router' is. Can you be more specific, e.g. make and model?

Routers can be fitted with an ADSL or Cable 'modem' (most modern ones are, for domestic use), or can be an intelligent switch, without any sort of modem.

cheeky 22:33 11 Feb 03

Hi
I am a bit confused as I thought a router was a seperate thing. Most pc's have a network card which lets you connect to a router, hub or modem (be it ADSL or Cable)A router however is not a modem so you would need to have the appropriate modem as well. What make is your card?
My set up has a network card in my pc that connects to an external 4 port router and this in turn connects to my cable modem. That way I can connect up to 4 pc's into the router and they all share the single broadband modem.
Hope that helps some...

jazzypop 22:33 11 Feb 03

I meant to add, that you will need an ADSL modem, either standalone that connects to a router, or built into a router

Lord_Anubis 23:03 11 Feb 03

Thanks for the help, you've confirmed my doubts. The network card is part of a laptop and was advertised as being a broadband router :S. I guese it isn't.. Either way i now kn ow i definatly need a seperate ASDL Modem, thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac