broadband & router

l1ndy 14:20 09 Apr 04

i would like to switch to broadband & share the connection with my sons computer .. i have been told the best way to do this is to use a wired router .. i havent got a clue what this is or how to use it .. also which broadband isp is best as i would like the fastest .. at the moment i am on dial up with freeserve .. i run xp & my son is on 98 but we do share the same account by the way i have linked the phone line with extra wire & connections .. i need it put in simple terms plz as i havent a clue what i'm doing lol
thank u

AndySD 14:45 09 Apr 04

You can use any ISP but you will be supplied with an external modem Modem this needs to connect to the router or pc via ethernet (rj45) not USB. You simply put an ethernet (10/100 network card)card in each pc then connect these to the router and attach the router to the modem. Run the disk with the router If you want to share files across the pc's run XP networking wizard (turn off firewalls first)then with a bit of luck its all up and running. Once you know the ISP and the modem we can help with the hardware. click here and have a look.

AndySD 14:51 09 Apr 04

click here to see if you can get broadband.

click here is also a good site to look at.

stylehurst 14:56 09 Apr 04

Are you planning B/B via BT line or via cable.
The approach is slightly different if using cable

l1ndy 15:25 09 Apr 04

stylehurst .... it will be on my bt phoneline & i am now thinking of switching from freeserve who i have dial up with to bt/yahoo broadband as looking at comparisons they seem to offer the most

AndySD 15:41 09 Apr 04

BT have s Broadband router pack click here

l1ndy 15:55 09 Apr 04

thank u everyone....andy....i think the bt one is great idea as it is bt/yahoo i'm thinkin of..will say this is solved for now n if i get stuck will shout lol

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017