Broadband requirements

Templar1961 12:36 13 Mar 03

Broadband is coming to my area in May so I looked at BT's website for details of the requirements:

"Your computer and broadband modem should be situated within 3m of your telephone wall socket."

What if your computer is in an upstairs room as mine is?

Is this just the length of cable supplied by BT with their modem, or a technical limit?

Do other suppliers offer any more?

powerless 12:39 13 Mar 03

Mine is 5m from the phone socket and no problems. However i did have it at 10metres and it would not work.

AndySD 12:42 13 Mar 03

3m is the USB cable limit. You will need a new wall socket fitted into the room you have the pc.

You may get away with a telephone extension cable... but I will need to leave this to others to confirm.

graham 12:44 13 Mar 03

If you have a phone socket in the upstairs room you will be OK.

graham 12:46 13 Mar 03

Extension cable from the socket to the modem is no problem.

Nonnyriley 14:08 13 Mar 03

I use a 15m telephone extension so you will be fine.

Templar1961 14:55 13 Mar 03

Thanks for your replies - I just wondered how much (if any?) speed was lost thu' using a telephone extension with broadband?

I currently use a telephone extension, from a 'self-installed' 'phone socket in another upstairs bedroom and still achieve 48.9 Kbps click here

I think BT's assumption that everyones PC is located within 3 metres of the 'phone socket is unrealistic?

graham 15:03 13 Mar 03

Compared to the distance to the exchange any extension, socket or cable, will have negligible effect. It's only a pair of wires after all. Well 3 wires with the bell. Just make sure any extension sockets don't have a capacitor, that would slow you down!

vaughan007 16:00 13 Mar 03

"I think BT's assumption that everyones PC is located within 3 metres of the 'phone socket is unrealistic?"

I agree. Most peoples phone is downstairs. Most computers upstairs. And unless you live in a dolls house the distance will be slightly more than 3m.

Perhaps its just yet another BT money spinner so you pay for them to install another phone socket in your PC room.

I would not be surprised if when they do this they only use a telephone extension line, which is basically the same as you can buy from the shops. Well, something similar anyway.

©®@$ђ 16:05 13 Mar 03

ur not in prestatyn are you

Templar1961 17:23 13 Mar 03

vaughan007
"Perhaps its just yet another BT money spinner so you pay for them to install another phone socket in your PC room."

That went thru' my mind too! I thought I'd let someone else say it tho'.

©®@$ђ
No, I'm in Yorkshire - you are getting broadband too?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…