Broadband & REN

carper 16:07 03 Mar 06

I have four phones on my home telephone, each with a REN value of 1.
If I go onto Broadband will a need to disconnect one or more phones to make sure the system is not overloaded. Any help appreciated. Regards Carper

skidzy 16:13 03 Mar 06

Are any of these phones cordless and work from a base station...if so you should be fine.You may well need a doubler,with your broadband modem you will receive a filter also.

Batch 17:40 03 Mar 06

Not 100% certain, but I believe that you can ignore the b'band when counting RENs.

Stuartli 17:54 03 Mar 06

I've had an REN figure of up to six when using broadband and it's never affected it nor a dialup modem.

Diemmess 18:05 03 Mar 06

The normal line needs something like 50 volts to operate properly and the REN maximum is usually understated on the safe side

BB is a high frequency signal which is available without a current penalty on the line. The necessary power being drawn from the USB connection for the transmitter/receiver/filter, so unless I'm talking rubbish (I hope not) BB will not influence the REN number.

Meshuga 18:23 03 Mar 06

Hi carper, you can obtain a REN amplifier which will give you an additional 10 ren facility. It is mains powered and has sockets for connecting to your phone circuit. I can`t remember what mine cost but not excessive. I have 8 phones including Sky box and a personal emergency alarm connected through the phone system.

woodchip 18:54 03 Mar 06

Ren does not apply to BB

carper 13:56 04 Mar 06

Thanks for all your help, I can rest easy now Regards Carper

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos