Is Broadband really safe from "all" Dialers?

Glyn-252301 23:47 09 Dec 03

I ask this question because my son who was on B/B picked up a dialler, which knocked him of line and caused his tel. line to give a line engaged tone.
Thinking that he was running up a £1,000 bill he panicked and run BT on my line and spent 90 minutes trying to get his line closed. It turned out that the free BT answer system that normally gives an intermittent sound was giving an engaged line sound. Coincident or what?

VoG II 23:51 09 Dec 03

If you don't need it for faxing, disable the dial-up modem in Device Manager.

Glyn-252301 23:55 09 Dec 03

Thanks for that VoG, his modem is not plugged in to line so should be safe.
Regards G.

Sir Radfordin 23:58 09 Dec 03

If the dial up modem isn't plugged in then it can't make calls and you can't be charged. Unless you are on PAYG broadband there is nothing that can be done that means you will end up having to pay for something you didn't know you had used.

Glyn-252301 00:11 10 Dec 03

Thanks Sir Radfordin, but what is PAYG B/B? is it some form of pay as you go?
Will not tick yet as I'm sure that there is more to glean on this subject.
Regards G.

Sir Radfordin 01:26 10 Dec 03

PAYG broadband is indeed pay as you go - you pay for what you use and not for what you 'could' use. A few threads have been posted in the consumerwatch part of this site.

There is some info on the service offered by Metronet here: click here

For people who just want to be able to do the odd thing a bit quicker it may work out cheaper. It is to some extent a gamble and each person would have to decide for themselves.

The problem would come if you had to download several very large files frequently. Metronet do seem to cap the totla bill so you could be sure you would never have to pay more than the maximum amount.

As for Dialers there was a very long and I think inconlusive thread about this a while ago started I believe by Gaz 25. I will however stand by my claim that since the dialer has to use the modem if this is not connected to a phone line there is no way that it can be used to dial a premium rate number (or indeed any other number).

Djohn 01:55 10 Dec 03

Sir Radfordin, you are correct. If there is a physical break between the modem and the phone-line, then a dialler cannot dial out. Broadband is a digital line, phone is analogue. So a dialler can't use the ASDL line.

In most circumstances it will be safe to leave your dial-up modem connected, but with a tick in the box, "Never dial a number" but if at all concerned then disconnect modem lead and replace only when you need to use it. j.

Glyn-252301 02:09 10 Dec 03

I feel more secure with this info. Many thanks, will give my son a copy of this to allay his fears.(Paranoia)
Still will have to watch out as some bright spark will find a way to part us from our pennies.

Regards G.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…