Broadband randomly disconnects????

gplatt2000 12:43 09 Aug 03

Hi there, recently I have been very frustrated at the way my BT broadband connection randomly disconnects, with an error message saying 'Error 680: there was no dial tone'. Does anyone know why this could be? As I say, its is at random intervals - sometimes it will stay connected nearly all day, other times for only 10 mins. Also, I THINK the problem may have started when we got a new DSL filter for our other phone (which used to disconnect broadband if used), but I am not entirely certain of this- is it coincidence or could there be a link? Thanks a lot, Gavin

Glyn-252301 15:35 09 Aug 03

Bump

Giant68 16:07 09 Aug 03

I had a similar problem with my alcatel speedtouch usb modem, moved it to another usb port andthe problem has gone.

Giant68

This used to happen to me quite a lot before as well. I was using Windows 98SE at the time, and upgraded that to Windows XP Home. This managed to resolve the problem and stop the random disconnecting.
I don't really know whether there is a link between the microfilter and the disconnecting, but if you are already using Windows XP then speak to BT. Their broadband support lines are free, and try to explain your problem to them. If you purchased your modem from them, they may be able to rectify any faults by sending a replacement.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:33 09 Aug 03

This usually happens if you are using a non-powered USB port. If you are, switch to a port in the tower.

G

gplatt2000 23:28 09 Aug 03

Alright, thanks a lot for your help evryone, forgot to say I am running XP, and my modem is an Alcatel Speedtouch. I will try what you have said, and if that doesnt work phone BT. Thanks again, Gavin

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…