Broadband question

Sirpad 09:46 17 Oct 05

I'm getting BB which also comes with a Netopia Gateway router.

Do i also need a PCI wireless card on my PC or a wireless USB adaptor?

Basically what I want to do is use one PC as a base and be able to access the internet on this PC and another PC or laptop upstairs.

I have Windows XP.

Forum Editor 10:07 17 Oct 05

Ideally you would install a PCI card in your PC and a PCMCIA wireless card adapter in your laptop (unless it has WiFi built in).

If you find opening your computer's case a daunting prospect don't worry - an external wireless USB adapter will be fine; just remember to install the software before you plug in the adapter.

Alternatively, if your PC is near the router you could connect them together physically, using the Ethernet cable that will come with your router. Connect the cable to the computer's existing LAN port, and to any of the LAN ports on the back of the router. You'll need to do this anyway, to intially configure the router, so you could simply leave the cable connected permanently and just run the laptop wirelessly.

Sirpad 14:46 17 Oct 05

Thanks FE......that makes perfect sense to me (even as a novice).
Could you perhaps look at another query I have.
I've only had one response.
The title is......
DELL Dimension 5150 - good deal?

spuds 18:33 17 Oct 05

Post the link to your query, then everyone will know what you want answering.

Sirpad 20:47 17 Oct 05

Do you mean post a link to the other thread?
Not sure how to do this?

Jackcoms 21:00 17 Oct 05

Right click on the thread title and choose 'copy shortcut'.

Then paste into your post.

Sirpad 00:57 18 Oct 05

Jackoms...when I right click on it it lets me Copy Shortcut but when I paste it i get this..

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…