Broadband Providers - Cheapest?

Border View 17:15 12 Sep 04

Very close to ordering broadband but this 1gb download a month has me confused. I surf the net for family history purposes, lurking in PC Advisor Help and Consumer Watch rooms, updating Windows 98SE, Anti Virus (avg) sometimes send photographs via e-mail and other general surfing. Not into downloading music or videos or playing games on line. I run Widows 98SE have a 800 mgh AMD procesor with 128 RAM and 30 GHtz HDD.

Will the cheap option of 1 or 2 Ghtz download a month be OK for me and should I go with Wanadoo or Pipex (or any other ISP recommended by members of this forum).

Would really welcome your comments.

fsbb 17:29 12 Sep 04

I have Wanadoo £17.99 month and use the Net for similar purposes to you. I have no problem with the download limit. Wanadoo give a guide > click here

pj123 17:52 12 Sep 04

Yes, use the link that fsbb has provided and click on the "What does this mean" link which will give you some idea of what a 2gb limit is but also checkout AOL for their Silver BB which is £19.99 per month with no restrictions at all. Not as fast as 20x but fast enough at around 6x faster than dialup. click here

You could also have a look here click here to see if there are any other options.

palinka 18:14 12 Sep 04

I found it all equally confusing, and my usage is varied too. I dithered for several months. Eventually I settled for Pipex Solo 250, which is only 5x but that's better than my old dial-up (46.6 or less); there's no limit on usage;it costs only £3 a month more than I was paying for a 24/7 dial up and, of course, if frees up my phone. That's how I came to my decision, it all depends what is most important to you. For me the order of importance was 1. cost; 2.restrictions on use ; 3. speed.
I'm very happy with the result.

Mister Splendid©®™! 18:21 12 Sep 04

I know BT knocking is a popular pastime but I have BT Broadband 1Mbs with a 30GB per month limit. £24.99 following the recent price cuts and the service quality, so far, has been excellent.

Border View 18:21 12 Sep 04

Many thanks for responding. I shall have a look at the links you suggest.

Border View 11:16 28 Sep 04

Just to let you know that I've ordered Pipex Solo 500 unlimited at £23.99. Am awaiting delivery of modem etc and activation date. Like a kid waiting for Christmas.

Border View 15:41 02 Oct 04

Ordered last Sunday. Modem came Friday. Up and running today Saturday. Pipex not the cheapest, but I am very impressed with the service received. Its probably been said before, but after dial up for four years - broadband can only be described as phwaaaah

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced