Broadband problems - please help

reddwarfcrew 19:22 25 May 03

I joined Freeserve broadband 12mths ago, but found that I was only getting download speeds of 200kbps at best (this was checked by using adslguide.or.uk and downloading various files and timing them). Then I came across Tweakmaster from a cover discs and this considerably improved the performance to 450kbps. This was using an Evesham pc with win98se. The difference was noticeable on general surfing.

I have now just bought a new Evesham pc which obviously has win XP on it, but my broadband speeds are back down to 200kbps at best (sometime only 64kbps!!). I know its not the modem or line as I can connect it back to my win98 pc and get the fast speeds again, so its definitely related to either the hardware or XP. I have run Tweakmaster again and tried other speed utils, but with no joy.

Have you any ideas how I can get my fast speeds back that I know are available on my line.

Hope you can help.

Steve (very upset that £1300 new pc has at least halved his download speed). :-(

previous link from when I first got ADSL is click here

This question replaces click here

howard60 19:49 25 May 03

if your new pc has been set up to the wrong configuration. Perhaps it has not had the mobo cd drivers installed on it. It can do no harm to get your mobo cd and stick it in and install all its software which should run automatically.

kane_2002k 20:26 25 May 03

1.call freeserve telling them that you have had the same problem on 2 different pc's and see what they say, being with blueyonder i'm not aware what there support is like - i.e. if they will check that it isn't a problem with the phone cabling in the home (seems unliklely if tweak software improved it that much),

2.also it could help to check out your adsl modem, (borrow a differnt one from a friend?) - i'm assuming that the modem is the same one you had previously with the other computer.

3.Try a friends computer (bonus if you know their's works fine at there own home)

In this case personnlly i woulld suspect the modem, since the computer hardware seems unlikely to blame if the problem has occured on 2 different PC's. If works fine with different adsl modem problem lies in modem. If your friends computer works fine in your home, you know the problem lies in your pc's - (software config error?),

Hope someone with ADSL, may beable to give better advice.

PS. also have you tried using any other phone socket in your house?

bambam005 23:55 25 May 03

turned off the internal firewall in XP in the dial up properties and specified your DNS servers in the TCP/IP properties ?

Have you cleared all of the temp internet files and restored default on IE , or repaired IE ? And have you also checked how you are routed through your ISP's network ?

Run Adaware and Anti-Trojan if in doubt

BarryKeith 00:09 26 May 03
  Zaxifone 00:16 26 May 03

Hi reddwarfcrew. You could try downloading TCPOptimizer and checking that your MTU is set to 1458 instead of 1500 (default). That can cause the problems you describe...

Just an idea...

Z.

hugh-265156 05:10 26 May 03

this is a very good site for troubleshooting blueyonder and ntl cable modem problems.click here

hugh-265156 05:11 26 May 03

oops sorry you with freeserve.

reddwarfcrew 08:29 26 May 03

Q: Have you turned off the internal firewall in XP in the dial up properties and specified your DNS servers in the TCP/IP properties ?

A: How do I do this and what do the settings need to be?

Q: Have you cleared all of the temp internet files and restored default on IE , or repaired IE ?

A: Performance has been poor right from 1st boot of PC, so they shouldn't need repairing

Q: And have you also checked how you are routed through your ISP's network ?

A: Again how do I do this?

reddwarfcrew 12:12 26 May 03

I've tried all sorts now, apart from another modem.

I began to have a bit of luck with 6 test averaging 414, but after that it was back down to 150-200.

Any recommendations for a new ADSL modem?

reddwarfcrew 15:26 26 May 03

I've now re-done some proper tests and downloaded a couple of 30MB files and a 40MB file from different locations. All downloaded at around 430kbps (53.6KBps). This is using Download Accelorator Plus.

So the downloads show that my connection is okay.

However, adslguide.org.uk, bandwidthplace.com and pcpitstop.com all return a speed of around 150kbps??

Very strange, but it looks as though there is no problem with the modem. Is it that the website checks are using http and DAP is using ftp? Could this explain it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…