Broadband Problem

Bantam007 21:29 30 Dec 03

I've re-installed my broadband modem and despite the settings being the same as before, all my attempts to connect are met with error 650: The computer you're dialling in to does not respond to a network request. Check your server type setting in properties of the connection. I've checked but no changes I have made have made any difference, any ideas anyone?

Rennaissance 21:37 30 Dec 03

i don't know whats wrong, but if i was met with this problam, i just wouldn't bother with it and just format my drive. Thats me, i always like a clean install, even if it means hours to wait. But now i dont need to install my modem as it does it automatically through my router. What are you connecting it with? Ethernet or USB.

Bantam007 21:49 30 Dec 03

That's the problem though, Ive just done a clean install and can't connect, it's a USB ADSL modem by the way.

Rennaissance 21:51 30 Dec 03

hmm.. I used to have some problems with USB on NTL's cable modem, now switched to ethernet and all is working fine. Tbh USB isn't very reliable. But i did sort it out however, by retrying and it worked.

gold 47 00:04 31 Dec 03

Error 650 i thought was a dial up modem as your broadband have you set your ISP for broadband ie
is it looking for a dail up setting???? if i am wrong someone will correct me.

ahales42 00:19 31 Dec 03

gold 47. your right. error 650 is a dial up modem prob. Bantam007, try deleting both your adsl drivers and your isp prog. re-install your modem and then your isp.the isp installation should look for your modem.

Bantam007 10:47 31 Dec 03

Thanks gold47/ahales42, I'll give it a try and let you know how I get on.

Bantam007 18:10 31 Dec 03

Well despite reformatting and re-installing Windows 98 before re-installing the Zoom ADSL USB software, the problem is still there, I'm still getting Error:650, also and this was also happening before, most of my attempts to connect are interupted by "The telephony subsystem required dial-up networking to shut down. Restart your connection" etc. I'm using exactly the same software and hardware as when everything was working and the same settings for my ISP! I really don't know what to try next.

gold 47 19:04 31 Dec 03

The fact that your dial up connection is still showing up means that your ISP broadband setup is incorrect because it's not looking for your ADSL modem,who is your ISP?? uninstall the dial up modem.Your ISP Broadband set up should tell you
how todo this i can't give anymore advice here
as ISP'S have there own software you should at least have a change modem option on your ISP setup.As a last resort pull the dial up card out of the pci slot.

Bantam007 21:31 31 Dec 03

I don't have a dial up-modem, I removed it shortly after getting broadband back in April, I have for the umpteenth time removed and re-installed the software and although I'm still getting error:650 I'm beginning to think maybe my ISP's server is down or it's maybe too busy to connect to?

©®@$? 21:57 31 Dec 03

The Windows/TELEPHON.INI file may be broken or missing (run Windows/System/TAPIini.exe and reboot the computer)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…