Broadband via the power cables.

nd33cfc 21:46 29 Jul 05

A friend recently told me that it would soon be possible to receive broadband through the power supply system. The speed is reputed to be around 25mb/s.
Is this true ? If so, how may i obtain some more information on its availability ?

Forum Editor 00:27 30 Jul 05

has been talked about for years, and numerous trials have been carried out. One stumbling block - as far as the UK is concerned - was that street-light posts were acting as radio emitters and disrupting air-traffic control centres, as well as creating problems for the special radio network used by Police and emergency services. This resulted in early trials being abandoned, and at present nobody is offering a service in this country.

IBM and Google have both invested pretty heavily in BPL (Broadband over Power Line) technology for the american market, and I think it's only a matter of time before we see a commercially viable technology. The power companies are particularly interested for obvious reasons - one of which is that it would allow them to interrogate electrical installations over their supply network - they would be able to detect faults this way, and read meters rapidly and economically.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…