Broadband Or DialUp

MKershaw123 13:13 08 Mar 03

I am thinking of getting broadband can any one help and give me any technical advise on the product and services which are on offer.

-pops- 13:35 08 Mar 03

Check click here

Brian

terex 13:43 08 Mar 03

Having been on dial-up with freeserve for a long time and very dissatisfied with the service plus the fact they decided to increase their price by £1

I decided to look into getting broadband, my first port of call was this forum which is very helpful.

I decided to give BT a call to inquire about their broadband service, I had heard it was very easy to set up, so I ordered the modem from BT, in six days it arrived and 20 minutes later I was online with no problems whatsoever, (BT modem £47 and £27 a month)
pete

bremner 13:48 08 Mar 03

Your thread title poses a question that really only you can answer as only you know if the cost of broadband is affordable to you.

There is no comparison between 56K dial up and 512K BB.

If broadband is for you then if you live in an area served by cable (NTL or Blueyonder) then they both provide an excellent service. If you don't live in thoses areas then you will need to see if you are served by broadband through your phone line. click here to see if you are served.

Legolas 16:02 08 Mar 03

I would highly recommend broadband, what company you go with for your broadband connection will depend on a number of factors including the cost and the area you live in. I do not have a BT phone line so I

Legolas 16:02 08 Mar 03

I would highly recommend broadband, what company you go with for your broadband connection will depend on a number of factors including the cost and the area you live in. I do not have a BT phone line so I

Legolas 16:25 08 Mar 03

I would highly recommend broadband, what company you go with for your broadband connection will depend on a number of factors including the cost and the area you live in. I do not have a BT phone line so I am with NTL Broadband 600k so I have limited knowledge concerning other broadband providers, but as I said I would highly recommend broadband it opens up new areas of the Internet that were not really feasible with 56 dialup e.g. downloading large files, movies, music etc and in the near future broadband will allow companies to "stream" the movie of your choice straight to your PC, this would be virtually impossible with a slower dialup connection. Broadband allows you to purchase software on-line and then download it to your computer, this was possible with dialup but the size of some software applications made it impractible. Of course the companies that provide broadband are not looking to the future and to the possibilities of broadband, this is shown in NTL,s decision to limit there broadband customers to 1GB downloads per day, this is fine if all you want to do is surf the Internet and download some small files, some music or a movie or two, but does not take into consideration the future of broadband that I have mentioned above, by enforcing this download limit on its customers NTL and other broadband providers are stifling the development of the Internet. As I said at the start of this reply get broadband you will not regret it.

Legolas 16:26 08 Mar 03

Sorry about the triple post.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced