Broadband or ADSL query

Totally-braindead 17:41 02 May 06

This will probably seem like a stupid question but please bear with me. I've had an ongoing problem with my USB connection to Tiscali 1mb unlimited. Now I've given up on sorting it and wanted to buy a PCI router card for use with my Tiscali account to connect to my Broadband, just to see if that solves it.
Now comes the stupid question bit. I thought that ADSL and Broadband was basically 2 names for the same thing. However on having a look at some of the suppliers of routers I see some listed as ADSL and some listed as Broadband. Are they the same thing and just listed under 2 different headings to make it easier to find or is there some difference. If there is a difference which do I buy? Anyone have a recommendation for a PCI router that works well and preferably isn't too pricey?

Stuartli 17:44 02 May 06

Same thing.

Graham ® 17:45 02 May 06

Broadband is the general term for ADSL, but this also includes SDSL.

Stuartli 17:46 02 May 06

Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line (ADSL)

This will help to understand:

click here

Stuartli 17:47 02 May 06

Normal phone line is narrowband.

Aargh 18:01 02 May 06

rubberband?

ade.h 18:13 02 May 06

Then there's the term "DSL" which obviously covers both assymetric and symmetrical lines, but also cable services. In router terminology "cable/DSL" is a common way of differentiating between routers and modem/routers, the latter of which are for ADSL/SDSL.....

Rubberband is a new kind of highly flexible broadband service that adjusts its speed and bandwitdh allowance across all the IPs in a given contention ratio group to optimise performance for any given activity or usage pattern.

I am, of course, pulling your leg! LOL. But the first paragraph is true.

Totally-braindead 18:30 02 May 06

I knid of thought I had it right, it was just when I saw the 2 listings I started to wonder.

Anyone using a PCI card ADSL modem that they can recommend? I haven't been able to find one in stock yet, I presume everyone wants a USB one as its easier to connect.

Totally-braindead 18:30 02 May 06

knid = kind

Stuartli 20:24 02 May 06

I did think you were stretching it a bit....:-)

ade.h 20:33 02 May 06

Ooh. "Stretching it..." That's terrible! LOL.

Of course, as we all know really, rubber bands are used to power the servers at some ISPs... ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…