Broadband on an old comp.

lingdale 11:55 12 Nov 05

I am using an old computer with windows 98 and only 2GB hard drive. If I sign up for broadband will this affect download speed?

De Marcus™ 12:00 12 Nov 05

No it won't, but with broadband you'll find yourself downloading large files more often, and you'll fill a 2gb hard drive in less than an hour.

ACOLYTE 12:00 12 Nov 05

I dont think iut would affect the download speeds that would be up to the phone line and what BB package you get.You may need USB ports on the pc as most BB modems are USB.

Chegs ® 12:03 12 Nov 05

It doesn't affect your PC,I have an old laptop (233Mhz CPU + 4Gb HD)that is setup to share my connection with several desktops.

De Marcus™ 12:06 12 Nov 05

If your not ready to upgrade your pc, you could always buy an external hard drive, also ACOLYTE makes a good point.

keewaa 12:21 12 Nov 05

Just in case you're asking will signing up to broadband affect your downloading speed ... yes it will x20 + . Even old computers can take full advantage of the increased speed of broadband.

lingdale 13:28 12 Nov 05

Thank all who gave me quick replies.

The Spires 13:58 12 Nov 05

You will be far better using a ADSL network router to connect to the net than a USB modem, routers use zero resources on your pc but USB modems require high current and system resources.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…