Broadband - no cable no BT

tasslehoff burrfoot 22:55 01 Aug 05

I am in the process of moving house. Signed the contract today and then contacted BT to get a phone line set up.

BT say the previous tennant left owing them money, so my wfe and I cannot get a phoneline unless we pay a £450 deposit up front!!!

There is no way we are going to do this. Telewest can service the other side of the street but not the side where we will be living. I don't think NTL exist round here.

So what are my options to get broadband?

I found click here

which says that you can pay TalkTalk for the line rental, is what I need to be doing? Would this bypass BT completely?

Is my only other option something pricey like satellite broadband?

Any advice appreciated.

VoG II 22:58 01 Aug 05

Do anything except BT. In my experience they are a bunch of bstds and will never get my custom again.

octal 22:59 01 Aug 05

Contact Ofcom click here

Graham ® 08:15 02 Aug 05

If you are a BT customer at your present house, use their 'Moving Home' facility:

click here

spuds 10:45 02 Aug 05

The business about paying a £450 deposit is a red herring, if you already subscribe to a BT network, and have a good payment record. Contact them again and explain this to them, and that you are putting in a request for a transfered line.

Whatever the outcome, you will most likely find that all ISP's have a contract with BT as a line provider, so you will need their service in one shape or another. Unless as you say, cable or satelite connection is available at a sensible price.

tasslehoff burrfoot 12:08 02 Aug 05

we are with telewest at the moment. So I cannot transfer an account.

I have called talk talk and they say that we would have to get the line through BT.

Anyone know how much satellite BB costs

fazer 12:30 02 Aug 05

You should do what Octal suggests and lodge a complaint against BT.

They have no right (legal or otherwise)to penalise new owners for the previous owners debts.

steven_frost 12:36 02 Aug 05

I would complain to Ofcom as you should not be held for what the prev owner has done

stlucia 13:50 02 Aug 05

By giving you hassle, instead of persuing whoever it is that owes them money, aren't BT losing out in two ways? They won't ever get their money back if they don't chase it, and they'll lose a new customer if they try to screw you like that.

tasslehoff burrfoot 18:32 02 Aug 05

I have written a letter to Ofcom.

Hopefully this will be resolved.

tasslehoff burrfoot 09:58 10 Aug 05

I have been contacted by OFCOM, saying I must go throught BTs official complints procedure. Fair enough.

I called BT and they were adamant my only options are to pay £450 or go without a phone line. I stated I would be contacting OFCOM, which shook them a little.

I then asked for the name and address of their MD so I could CC that person into my letter to OFCOM.

Immediate change of heart, "sorry Mr Burrfoot, there's been a terrible mistake, of course you won't be penalised because previous tennants didn't pay up".

All sorted, an engineer is coming out to my home on 05/09/05 and I will then be connected.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…