broadband newby

superhunk 09:45 10 Apr 04

hi m8's,

just switched on yesterday i've got the phone up and running,so i think i've got the filters working ok,

os xp

touble is i keep getting system freeze so all i can do is switch off which i don't like doing,

i disabled the old modem?

firewall constantly blocking something or other?

any ideas,

super:)

bruno 10:19 10 Apr 04

Can't help you with the freezing,but you do not necessarily have to disable the dial up modem.I still use both in case of an emergency .

Graham ® 10:28 10 Apr 04

If the BB modem is connected via USB, there shouldn't be anything connected to the second port.

superhunk 11:00 10 Apr 04

i've re-enabled the old modem,

altered size of internet temp file ,

defraged system so we'll see how we go many thanks for input guys,

fsbb 13:01 10 Apr 04

It is a good idea to unplug dialup modem and only plug it in if you need to use it. This is a safeguide incase a rogue dialer gets on your system. Dialers can't dial out via BB but will dial out via a connected dialup modem possibly without you knowing until phone bill arrives..

Dipso 00:13 11 Apr 04

Sounds like a power issue with the modem. This is a known problem with VIA based chipsets, I don't know if this applies to you?.

If you have the same problem after disconnecting any other USB powered devices you could try a self powered USB hub.

Forum Editor 00:24 11 Apr 04

USB ADSL modems are power hungry, and should ideally be connected directly to a USB port on the motherboard.

JACC 00:35 11 Apr 04

yep , i would agree that the modem should be connected into the pc direct .Another thing you could do is download the latest drivers for your modem . I had a problem with my modem and new drivers sorted it out . Good luck to you ,when you get going you'll find BB is worth every penny.

superhunk 14:40 11 Apr 04

cheers guys,

i've done just that taken modem out of hub and plugged into usb port directly so we'll see how we go,

super

superhunk 13:40 12 Apr 04

seems to be fine now ince just taking the modem off the hub anf pluggnd directly into the useb port,

many thanks for you help,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…