Broadband newbie.

Newuser3068 19:08 17 Apr 05

Our area has just been enabled for broadband and I'm researching ISP's for the best (ie: cheapest!) deal. Trouble is, I'm not sure whether to accept a deal which has a download limit. The bandwidth allowances vary tremendously - some are limited to 1GB, some offer 3, 5 or more.

I send and receive a total of about 100 - 150 emails a week, maybe 6 - 10 of them with attachments varying from a few Kb up maybe 1 MB. With broadband I think I'm likely to download a few music tracks, etc., but not many.

Can anyone give me any guidance on how much bandwidth I'm likely to need? Also if you have any personal recommendations about broadband ISP's, I'd welcome them. Many thanks.

bruno 19:25 17 Apr 05

Check out metronet.co.uk....I have had it for a year and a half with no trouble at all.Very reliable service.

wjrt 19:27 17 Apr 05

google

adsl guide

loads info there

loser7 19:29 17 Apr 05

It sounds to me like 1GB limit will be fine for you unless you download movies aswell as music. I recently changed from BT to tiscali and have never looked back, although it is a matter of opinion (or maybe just luck) my connection has been fine for 11 months and i have had no complaints.

Noldi 19:46 17 Apr 05

Soory the name escapes me at the moment but didnt Google start a price comparing site. eg car ins broadband etc.
N

Eastender 20:00 17 Apr 05

The monitors icon in your system tray will give you how much data you have receive each session, keep a tally of that for a few typical days.

The ADSL Guide site can be quite useful:-click here

TommyRed 20:04 17 Apr 05

I'm on a usage limit of 2Gb, so far this month I've used 0.32Gb and e-mailed a lot of photo's abroad including 2 failed ones (still added to my usage) I get maybe 6 e-mails a day including graphics and photo's. I'm not online 24/7 but the web is accessed by me and my son at least once a day for a couple of hours. My daughter who is at Uni was a big user, file sharing etc but once I'd had a word with her, unsubscribed from quite a few sites who send graphics in their bulletins; boots, littlewoods etc and I also checked all the applications that where trying to access the web from my PC through my firewall. I have a 2Mb connection for £15.99 per month from here click here hth TR

Newuser3068 19:07 18 Apr 05

Thanks for all your comments and help on bandwidth. I have one further question - does your broadband modem have to be connected to the house's primary phone socket, or will it work in an extension socket?

Jackcoms 19:31 18 Apr 05

As long as you have BB micro-filters connected to ALL phone sockets which have a phone/fax attached (as well as Sky boxes, etc) it will work on an extension.

My 1mb BB connection is at the end of a 25 foot extension and works OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…