Broadband network connection?

handful 19:30 04 Jan 05

Hello and Happy New Year
I have a Tiscali Broadband connection currently made via a Sagem 800 ADSL modem and am fairly sure it is the cause of an error occurring regularly in event viewer (subject of a different thread)click here
I think I could connect to Tiscali without using the modem via an onboard network card and wondered what other equipment I might need. Presumably a router but I don't really know a thing about this area. Can anyone recommend a router that would be suitable and would I still need to use filters etc and what does it do to the speed of connection? Any advice with this would be much appreciated. Fo info I have an ASUS A7V8X mobo with onboard ASUStek Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller. XP Pro Athlon 2400

anon1 19:43 04 Jan 05

no matter what you do a modem is the only way to connect. No a router will not connect you to the broadband. You really only need a router if you are going to make a network. even with a router you still need a modem

Mike D 19:45 04 Jan 05

Hi Handful

I have just (well last week) ditched my Tiscali-supplied Sagem modem in favour of a Belkin Modem/Router, which is connected to the PC via the integrated network card. Early days, but so far, so good. Incidently, I had no problems with the sagem, my daugher bought a laptop and wanted internet access, whihch she now has wirelessly.

Mike

handful 19:54 04 Jan 05

Thanks for the responses anon1 and Mike D.

Mike, where did you get the Belkin Modem/Router, through Tiscali or did you just get it yourself? BTW I don't have any obvious problem with my Sagem modem but think that the error messages in event viewer may mean it is contributing to major crashes that I seem to suffer.

mikef. 20:08 04 Jan 05

Belkin modem/router click here I use it as well

handful 20:36 04 Jan 05

Thanks mikef may go down this road.

Mike D 11:26 05 Jan 05

Handful

Sorry for delay in replying. I bought Router from Currys. Would have bought it from PC World (next door), but the usb adapter for my daughter's laptop was not in stock. Total cost £105 - I could have probably got it cheaper, but that's the story of my life. As I said, it is working OK, after some initial trial and error messing with the firewall settings (Zone Alarm on both) to get the printer sharing working ok.

Mike

handful 14:23 05 Jan 05

Thanks Mike D, response much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…