Broadband with multiple phone lines

zigg 16:46 24 Sep 05

I have just purchased plusnet broadband which will be activated in a couple of days and they have sent me a starter pack with modem, USB cable, telephone cable and 2 microfilters (splitters). My computer is currently plugged into a telephone socket in the dining room, but it shares the same BT line with our phone in the kitchen and our phone in the bedroom.
My question is: Can I use one splitter to connect to the phone line where my computer is and another splitter to connect my phone to the (shared) line in the kitchen. IE, Can I do this without having to run a cable between the dining room and kitchen? If so, what will happen to my phone line unstairs which won't have a splitter attached. Will this still work without a splitter when broadband is installed. Maybe I can use it as long as broadband internet is not connected at the time? Hope this makes sense.Any advise appreciated. Been to the Plus net FAQ but can't find an answer to this.

Forum Editor 16:51 24 Sep 05

on an ADSL-enabled line must have a microfilter (splitter) plugged into the socket. Otherwise you will not be able to make calls - there will be excruciating noise on the line.

Diemmess 16:55 24 Sep 05

I think the principle is.

A filter in every outlet where there is the possibility of making a phone call.....

Ideally the computer is connected to the Master socket i.e. the on where the BT line is connected for the whole house.......this avoids a small risk of attenuation by too many extension leads of too great a length.

In fact the worst that can happen insufficient filters is that the BB connection may be dropped by accidentally using any unfiltered phone.

zigg 17:01 24 Sep 05

Thanks for the above advice.
Will the problem (noise on the line) be solved if we just don't use the upstairs line or don't attach a phone to it. Ie, will there be noise on the downstairs line if the upstairs (shared) line is just inactive, but without a splitter?
Also if we do need another splitter will I have to contact plusnet for one of theirs or can you buy them cheaply in PC world etc.

Diemmess 17:04 24 Sep 05

In my case I had 3 filters from Aol, but bought a fourth to be on the safe side. I chose a cheap but neat one which proves to be adequate as an extension filter but was not good enough for the computer line which baulked awkwardly.

Play it safe and fit a filter to every outlet. they aren't that expensive.

Forum Editor 17:13 24 Sep 05

if it's not in use, but as Diemmess says, they're so cheap it's worthwhile plugging one into each extension socket anyway.

You can use any brand, and you can mix and match, but don't shop around - buy the best you can find.

Jackcoms 17:14 24 Sep 05

Buy splitters from here click here

zigg 17:16 24 Sep 05

Thanks for your advice folks. Speedy and knowledgeable as always!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…